Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Slinkiness

On the Move

A completely dreary, cold, and rain soaked day was totally rescued from obscurity with the energized presence of the FBR. She also validated the theory on the expected life span of a slinky in the possession of a two year old. I picked up one of these venerable children’s toys during an errand yesterday and didn’t expect it would last very long. I tried to show her how it would descend the stairs which she found fascinating. To answer the question posed above, the life span amounted to 17 minutes.
The ex-Slinky
The FBR came to me with a tangled mess that used to be the slinky and told me it was broken. She also instructed me to fix it. For those of us who’ve tried to untangle a slinky, especially one tangled by an accomplished purveyor of chaos (like the FBR) comes a recognition of the futility of the request. Of course, I am physically incapable of denying my granddaughter any request. I gave it my best effort which was complicated when she would run over and grab one end of the slinky while I was working on it and run away while still holding it. Despite how it sounds it was a lot of fun.
Always Busy

I am most fascinated after a couple days with the FBR by how fast she is developing. Simple games which were beyond her just a month ago are now handled with ease. She also hears everything that is spoken and is ready to respond (or parrot) the comment without any guile or reticence. My Favorite Panamanian and I are reminded constantly how much the FBR reminds us of her mother at the same age. They are both confident and clever with a very real desire to challenge any authority. The cool thing for us is, as grandparents, we’ve done our time and our daughter can now experience the absolute joy and occasional contest she presented to us a few decades ago.
This video shows her directing her dad last week at the skate park.



No comments:

Post a Comment