Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Reunification

Terminal E Last Night

The Favorite Panamanian is back in residence and none too pleased to be greeted by yet another coating of fresh fallen snow. I left in a hurry yesterday after work once I learned her plane was scheduled to land nearly an hour early. I waded through the typical Boston morass of traffic embellished by fans headed to the Red Sox – Yankees game. I was swinging into the Terminal E parking lot when I found the entrance blocked claiming it was full. I thought I could turn right and take a supplementary road to another nearby lot when I found myself confronted with a choice of returning to Boston via the Mass Pike or taking 1A to Revere.
The BRS Turned 2 Months and Took it with Aplomb
Having seen what Boston looked like when I drove through I opted for Revere and the hope for a quick turnaround. I hadn’t been to Revere since I was ten years old and went there with my older sister on what turned out to be a clandestine trip by my mother (but that’s another story). I had no desire to experience the cultural renaissance that is Revere and found a fairly easy turn around to return the Terminal E and go around the barrier to find parking.
Yeah Baby
My haste was wasted of course since it took my wife nearly an hour to get through customs and immigration. She had acquired another member of the Worcester Chapter of the Panamanian Mafia who was returning on the same flight so we had company for the drive home. After roses were delivered and fully appreciated we journeyed home to find most of the traffic completely gone so the delay was not in vain. There were the obligatory calls to both granddaughters to assure them that abuela was back in town. We passed by Fenway where it turned out the Red Sox were putting a beating on the hated evil empire.
After dropping off our passenger we had a late dinner at our favorite local eatery which included seeing some of that Fenway beat down. Every time I peeked up from our conversation the Red Sox were scoring another run. Thankfully my wife is every bit as big a Sox fan as I am so the peeks were understood and tolerated. We returned home where the second wave of roses were equally well received. It was good to have her back and the house seemed to acquire additional warmth just from her presence. It ceased to be just a house and became a home. I didn’t realize her needed presence for that transition or at least didn’t appreciate it enough.
During the hour long wait at Terminal E I polished off CJ Box’s latest Joe Pickett novel, The Disappeared. Pickett is summoned by the new governor to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a high profile British tourist in the Wyoming back country. The story takes place in the depth of a Wyoming winter which becomes another character in the plot. Pickett’s now grown daughter also plays a key role as does his ex-special forces operator friend Nate. It was so good to have the gang back together as Joe stumbles onto a series of nefarious plots, including the suspect governor. It was a great and all too fast read but that’s what you get when Pickett is riding the range.

No comments:

Post a Comment