Sunday, April 8, 2018

End of Bachelor Tunnel in View

Mother (l) and Daughter

This is my last weekend of geographic bachelorhood and I am spending it in typically married fashion. I am bemused at my wife’s friends’ concerns about leaving me unsupervised for such long stretches of time because I’ve discovered I’m totally harmless. Even a few years ago this would have served as a severe blow to the old male ego but I find nowadays I’m much more excited about an upcoming FaceTime call with one of the granddaughters than anything untoward.
FaceTime Follies

My relationship with the wife has been reduced to those same FaceTime calls over the past month and I snapped a few photos which I’m sure will endanger my continued existence when she discovers that I posted them here. She was meeting with our bank yesterday and keeping me advised of her progress on that front as well as her quest of new stovetop for our condo. It will be so good to get her back into these colder regions. She was none too pleased when I showed her the back deck yesterday morning coated once again in snow but it had the added benefit of not having to hear her complain about Panamanian heat.
Deck Saturday Morning
Her very good friend, the Neighborhood Mafioso, celebrated her birthday yesterday and I was called upon to deliver her birthday present which my wife had left explicit instructions about prior to departing. It’s so cool having such a good friend just a couple houses down the street. She and her husband, lifelong Worcesterites, are the main reason we decided to put down roots here in Worcester because we discovered how much fun it was around here. It does have a financial impact on both families though as the two ladies are definitely shopping enablers for the other. Happy Birthday Mafioso – well worth whatever it cost.
Birthday Girl
I posted the picture above of my daughter and the FBR side by side because I got out of bed this morning and saw the picture of my daughter and immediately though it was the FBR. While others will immediately jump to the conclusion of my approaching senility I put the photos next to each other to show how much they resemble each other since the FBR is now the same age as her mother was when the other photo was taken, doppelgangers indeed. The FBR is fully stoked for her upcoming stay with us although she did accuse me of being “silly grandpa” last night.
Riggins Guarding the BRS
I also saw the vision that is the BRS yesterday as she walked around the house with my Favorite Son addressing her latest bout of hiccups. During my retreat into the Man Cave last night I ran across a movie with a lead actress having the same name as the ABFA and the character she played in the movie had the same last name as my son and the ABFA. While that was strangely coincidental the character gets possessed by ghost and kills her husband so hopefully the similiarty ends there.
I was MoviePassing again yesterday and saw Death of Stalin. This may be one of the funniest movies ever made taking an incredibly dangerous time and just lambasting it. While the director took some liberties with the actual events a lot of the craziness depicted actually happened. The plot revolves around Stalin’s cronies hovering around his mostly dead body jockeying for position while the fear of Stalin still permeates all aspects of Soviet life. The main contenders are Nikita Khrushchev, played by the fantastic Steve Buscemi, and Beria, the hated director of state security. The one liners and absurdities fly in unrelenting manner throughout and I found myself laughing out loud too many times. The most interesting aspect of this is the obvious parallel to our current president and his disinterest in nothing that doesn’t aggrandize himself. It would be interesting to see his sycophants scrambling around for spoils in a similar situation. A very funny watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment