Monday, April 9, 2018

Monday Up

Favorite Son and the BRS
Mondays are typically my least favorite day of the week for all the obvious reasons, not the least of which is the requirement to head back to work. This week feels different because after a fairly isolated weekend I’m back around people again. I had plans for Saturday that fell through at the last moment so I spent an inordinate amount of time in the Man Cave watching Don Draper continue to dissolve as I binge watched further into the Mad Man universe. On the upside I saw an incredible comeback win for the Red Sox who won dramatically yesterday after trailing 7-2 in the 8th inning. They’re 8-1 on the year but they step up to major league level talent now after playing their first nine games against AAA quality teams.
FBR Investigating
This Monday looks up much more because tomorrow night I retrieve my Favorite Panamanian who returns from her tropical sojourn. I’ve done a credible job of keeping the house clean so there won’t be any frenetic activity tonight (well except for the stove top). I’m actually getting a little excited about getting back out in the yard in the upcoming weekends as mulching season approaches. I have no terraces to build but I’ve been staring at the area in front of the fireplace and trying to figure out how to lower the ground level about six inches. I’m worried that a significant amount of shovel work will be involved.
I was at the movie theater yesterday (huge surprise) and saw Chappaquiddick. I experienced this Kennedy scandal as a teenager growing up in New England. I was always confused by how Ted Kennedy skated so thoroughly after the facts of the case came out. This movie made me genuinely angry and part of that anger was how long it took for this movie to come out. It’s always stuck in my craw at the entitlement the rich seem to take for granted and blithely move through life ignorant of social responsibility while the rest of us are held to society’s laws. Jason Clarke is electrifying as the deeply flawed youngest of the Kennedy boys struggling to find his own voice and then killing a young campaign aide in a late night accident. While that situation is tragic seeing his subsequent actions started a slow burn that made me want to throttle him. The viewer is brought into those “smoke filled rooms” as the Kennedy PR machine is activated to rescue the buffoon senator. I’m guessing a large amount of the inside information came from the former Kennedy confidante portrayed by Ed Helms because he comes across as the conscience because Ted Kennedy had none.



No comments:

Post a Comment