Sunday, February 27, 2022

Fired Up

One of the most enduring aspects of my years at Las Lajas are the beach bonfires. Before we owned the condo, we would gather up driftwood and start a fire just above the high tide mark. It was usually the end of a great beach day as we surrounded the fire, drank beer (okay that was mostly me), and laughed into the night. Since at that time we were usually only staying at the beach for a day or two, the fire became a greatly anticipated high point. My well acknowledged pyromaniacal side reveled in these conflagrations. There are too many great memories to recount in detail but I have a favorite. Wingman, only dating my daughter at the time, accompanied us on a family trip which included a few days at Las Lajas as well as a truly great fire. As the group dwindled late into the night, he and I were the last ones at the fire. I was wondering why he seemed a little nervous but I’d had enough beer to dismiss my curiosity as warrantless.

Favorite Panamanian and I at Sunset Last Night


A few weeks later, while Wingman was on tour with his band in Japan, I received a very formal letter in which Wingman asked for my Favorite Daughter’s hand in marriage. He revealed he had wanted to broach that subject while we sat fireside back in Las Lajas but felt the amount of beer that had gone downrange made it feel inappropriate for such a serious discussion. Little did he realize, I do some of my best “discussing” after a few beers. I’ve always kidded him that he waited until he was several thousand miles away from me before he dared to ask the question. He has his story. I have mine. At least the question was asked and we now have the FBR as well as Wingman as part of the family. So. Win.

Favorite Panamanian Fireside

Toasting with her Sister, Tia Loca
So, why all this talk about beach bonfires. Yep. You guessed it. We had a huge fire last night. At the condo the fires are a bit more formal since part of the communal area is massive concrete fire pit. I didn’t have to gather firewood either as my Favorite Panamanian simply asked the condo caretaker to prepare the fire for us. I was a little ticked about that as I thought we’d end up with a small blaze (again, that pyromaniacal side). I was therefore greatly impressed when we showed up for the fire to find huge driftwood logs stacked up. My wife’s sister, mother, nephew and his girlfriend joined us for the fire. Each was equipped with a stick for marshmallow toasting although the size of the fire meant the sticks had to be really long.

Really Good Fire

Tia Loca Living Up to her Name
I also noticed the dry season night sky was offering its usual spectacular star show which required several walks out onto the beach. The smell of burning marshmallows attracted some grandkids from another family staying at the condo complex. I immediately thought how much the FBR, BRS, and BR3 would have enjoyed the moment which made me miss them and their parents even more. We had a great time last night but I sneakily missed those less formal fires around the years ago beach visits. The soul healing does continue though.

Beach This Morning


Walked the Other Way on the Beach This Morning
This is Where a River Flows into the Ocean

Also Great Views of Central Mountain Range
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment