Wednesday, June 3, 2020

The New Normal


This is one of the catch phrases inflicted on us during the Covid pandemic. You could add: flattening the curve, social distancing, abundance of caution, unprecedented, and “where’s all the toilet paper?” to that list. As the different annual events rolled by over the past three months it has brought home what a fundamental change this virus has engendered for the entire world. Today is yet another example. It is Wingman’s birthday.
BR3 Mugging for Camera
I had planned on being retired by now and being in New Jersey so he could live up to his nickname. More correctly I would assume his title as we head out to celebrate his birthday. His Facebook account lists his current age as 112 but I think that might be an exaggeration; maybe he’s counting the years having a precocious four year old like the FBR has exacted on his psyche. At any rate I want to wish him the happiest of birthdays and hopefully a rain check on the celebration when less distancing is required. I have it on good authority the FBR even deigned to get dressed and washed up this morning without the usual gamesmanship – Happy Birthday indeed.
Wingman and I at Son's Wedding

Boy Does Know How to Party

Miss hanging
He’s been a most welcome quality addition to the family, that second son I always wished for. He’s proven to be a thoughtful and intrinsic part of the family since he arrived. He converted to the correct sports teams’ fandom and likes beer. Need I say more? An indicator of his quality is his birthday request. He launched a donation campaign for the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund on Facebook. He spent many years living in Minneapolis, the epicenter of the current race crisis. He’s raised nearly $1000 from friends to help fund America's legal counsel on issues of race. Like I said, quality.
BRS on her New Set

Why Aren't You Climbing Abuela?




Posing on Family Rock

Let's Walk Some More Abuela
ABFA Surrounded by Sleeping Beauties
My Favorite Panamanian continued abuela duty up in New Hampshire yesterday. She was called upon to squire the BRS to the newly installed playground set in the backyard. The BRS demanded she try the slide with her but my wife somehow begged off the experience. She was roped into a couple of the BRS’ patented long walks around the neighborhood. BR3 had doctor’s appointment and has put on another couple pounds and grown a full inch. This reflects her dedication to feeding. While the BRS struggled to eat well in the first few months BR3 is not so encumbered, a real chow hound.
New Jersey Cookie Monster

On Line Craft Party With Friends

Deck Lunch

Showing Grandpa How Much Fun Cake Eating Still Is

New Bathing Suit

Her Mom Found this Photo FBR Took of her Self on her Mom's IPad
I consulted with my cinema consiglieri last night ranging from my Favorite Son to Wingman, to my Daughter. After consultation I decided to start the next pandemic watch with the Rambo series (Favorite Son’s suggestion), followed by the Raider of the Lost Ark series (Wingman’s). My daughter had a great suggestion of choosing a favorite director and watching his films. I may take that another step and choose a favorite actor and watch all his stuff. John Wayne immediately leaps to mind. At any rate I knocked off First Blood last night, which has held up well over the years although  it is jarring to see such a young Stallone.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment