Friday, June 26, 2020

Kindle Swimming


The backyard squirrels achieved a stunning tactical victory yesterday. In way of explanation my early morning routine usually involves a spirited duel between myself and these squirrels regarding the backyard bird feeder. They now immediately react to a window or the sliding door opening, knowing some pebbles will soon be launched in their direction. I had just grabbed my kindle before heading down for my morning bike riding session and stopped by the bathroom to pick up my reading glasses (we all know why they’re kept there). I spied one of my opponents venturing into my Favorite Panamanian’s vast garden complex to pillage.
I cherished the opportunity to surprise this one as he was uncommonly close to the house. Unfortunately as I reached for the window the kindle popped out of my hand and landed directly in the toilet. Squirrel forgotten, I desperately tried drying it as quickly as possible and thought I saved it. It worked fine during my stationary bike ride so I thought I was home free. I pulled it out at lunch time to read while eating and I got what I guess is the Kindle screen of death. It would not turn on and no matter how many times I tried to reset, it just laughed at me. Final score Squirrels – 1 Dumbass – 0
Screen of Death
I was more than a little pissed because I had just reached the best part of the latest Memory Man book when another character from one of Baldacci’s other series, old friend Will Robie, showed up. I thought about claiming to Amazon that it just stopped working but I knew I wouldn’t feel right about that. Luckily these things are linked to my Amazon account and I won’t lose the 200+ books I currently had on it. The new one arrives today, you just got to love Amazon.
2020 continues it depredations on a wide range of debacles. My friends and family in Panama are now dealing with a vast dust cloud that emanated from the Sahara Desert. What!? Yes, 2020 is just the gift that keeps on giving. Apparently a cloud of dust, thousands of square miles in size, blew up from the Sahara and is now descending across the Caribbean, including Panama (picture below). Jeez!
Sahara Dust Falling in Panama
I finished my journey through the Star Trek movies that I own. My ranking appears below. I’m a died in the wool trekkie from my junior high days when Captain James Tiberius Kirk first appeared on my television screen. That probably explains why I liked the original cast movies so much, despite the haircuts. I had a lot of fun watching the new series right after the original ones. There were a lot of bits from the original movies snuck into the new ones. I have been...and always shall be...Trek’s friend.
Final Movie
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek Beyond
Star Trek Into Darkness
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
FBR Showing Some Artistic Promise
With her Quick Sketchs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment