Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Retirement Challenge


Despite the doubting Thomases in my life, yes, I’m looking at you my children, I will retire on 1 August. They doubt because they’ve heard it all before, like November 2019, December 2019, April 2020, and then May 2020. It’s now feeling really official. I agreed to stay on at the request of my customer to get through the worst of the pandemic but that time is fast approaching. I will admit, to a small degree, to delaying my retirement until more pleasant weather for an epic retirement party which was always part of my calculus.

The pandemic, as with so many, entirely more important matters, has thrown a real monkey wrench into the mix. I feel it’s an important event to celebrate because, well, I like to celebrate, maybe a little too much. My retirement party planning has always had to pass muster with the commander in chief – my Favorite Panamanian. She’s absolutely terrified of the pandemic and initially refused to even consider having a party. I’ve worn her down and she’s agreed to a scaled down version. I should say versions because she now says I can have a series of “get togethers”, one for family, another for neighbors/Panamanian Mafia, another for friends, etc. etc.
You can see why I became a convert to her way of thinking. I will miss seeing the eclectic mix of friends and family from different aspects of my life but hey, a series of parties! (I mean “get togethers”) She had me at the mention of multiples. I’m also thinking a thunder run up to Keene so I can celebrate with hometown friends. Against all odds it doesn’t look like I’m going to be growing up any time soon.
Latest Movie - Last of Original Cast
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment