Thursday, June 25, 2020

Covid Dentistry and Angry Haircuts

When the coronavirus descended on us in March I had two dentist appointments pending which were summarily canceled as all dentists shut down except for emergency work. They’re starting to open back up and yesterday I had the first of the appointments, a crown for one of my back teeth. I experienced what I did with last week’s doctor’s appointment – a true grilling on whether I’d been exposed to the virus, including a three page consent form. I then had to don plastic coverings for my head, hands and shoes while they took my temperature. When I was ushered back into the dentist chair I felt I was walking through an air lock as the dentist and his assistant looked like astronauts with all their protective gear. I felt a little embarrassed when I had to remove my face mask because I suddenly felt wildly underdressed. This is our new reality. Some things never change though – going to the dentist still sucks.
Another aspect of virus induced changes was my spousal delivered haircut. Granted I don’t have the most challenging hairstyle in the world but my Favorite Panamanian has taken justifiable pride in becoming quite a barber over the past few months. I made the tactical error of getting her angry at me earlier this week just before we were scheduled to sit down for a haircut. I “joked” that it probably wasn’t smart of me (a true understatement) to have a haircut from a belligerent barber. I got a hunted feeling when she thoughtfully considered what she could do with the anger. Fortunately she didn’t take advantage of my self-imposed predicament and leave me with a Mohawk or something even worse.
What could have Been

But Thankfully Not
FBR Took This Picture Last Night During Our Facetime Call

Meanwhile BR3 is ready for Action
We had some serious déjà vu experiences during last night’s Facetime call with the FBR. We caught her in the middle of a standoff with her parents about eating her dinner. My daughter, as part of the discussion, brought up the fact that she clearly remembered sitting across the table from me more than three decades ago as I waited out her intransigence about eating her overly cheesed pasta (something she’d done to herself). The FBR emerged from her pout long enough to be fascinated to hear that I could be a tough disciplinarian (something she has no experience with me on). This is a generational issue as I too have those memories dating back to my childhood when I was the last one sitting at the dinner table long after everyone else had departed trying to coax the family dog into eating very cold, by that time, Brussel sprouts. The déjà vu was enhanced by the FBR’s garb. She was wearing one of her mother’s t-shirts as a sleep shirt. Again this was something her mother did repeatedly as a kid. We have many pictures of her cavorting in one of her mother’s t-shirts. Generations indeed.
FBR In her Mom's Shirt

Hamming it Up

Star Trek Progress
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment