Monday, June 8, 2020

Screening Process

Another pandemicly dominated weekend compounded by geographic bachelorhood but there are chinks appearing in the virus’ stranglehold on life. On Saturday afternoon Great Aunt and Soxfather arrived for some Deckzilla time. It’s funny how fulfilling a simple activity like sitting down and talking with people face to face can be after being denied it for a quarter of the 2020 so far. This is especially true when the people you talk to possess the intrinsic excellence of my Deckzilla guests. They brought along their dog Remy who introduced himself whenever the next door neighbors appeared on their deck.
Daughter and FBR with their Pie
After a fantastic morning, weather-wise, not long after their arrival a semi-ferocious thunderstorm blew through which required a return inside and masks. This had the added benefit of scouring the humidity out of the air so when we returned to Deckzilla it was even more pleasant. I had my window screen work station set up there so we had a tarp that covered all the chairs.
My Most Welcomed Deckzilla Guests on Saturday
Window screen station, you ask? I embarked on replacing all the windows in the house over the weekend. Except for the recent room addition all of the screens were showing wear from solar baking and the inadvertent stray shot from my power washing. I waited until I was unsupervised because I knew my Favorite Panamanian would offer some poignant observations on my technique. It turned out to be pretty simple. I watched a Home Depot video, acquired a spline tool and I was off.
The Work Area

One of the Damaged Screens

Removing Spline

Cutting out the New Screen

Removing Excess

My First Ever Screen Completed
I needed the tarp over the work area because the sun is bad during the mornings on Deckzilla. I proceeded with real caution because my usual forte of brute force and ignorance were not going to work on this project, something pointed out to me by my Favorite Son. I taped each window down, removed the spline and damaged screen and cut out a new screen which I then used the spline tool to place into the frame.
BR3 Says Hi
The final step was using a razor to cut the excess screen off and where my greatest fear that my lack of patience would be tested. I surprised myself when I finished the first window and it looked perfect. I counselled myself not to get cocky but by the end of the weekend all of the windows had new screens to include the much battered screen door out onto Deckzilla. I can’t believe what a difference it made. I guess the screens were in a lot worse shape than I was willing to admit. Don’t tell my wife that she as right as she had been campaigning for this for two years.
As Does the BRS
Thankfully Mrs. “I Told You So” was safely distant squiring the BRS and BR3 around. The ABFA posted the attached video which showed the BRS being completely overcome with excitement. None of the adults knew why she was so excited all of a sudden. My wife accused our son of putting something in her pizza. It turned out to be just a two year old’s exuberance bursting out. She’s really enjoying her new playground and giving her abuela a lot of exercise. She also likes to mimic her parents and borrows an IPAD and defunct phone to set up her own work station. It seems she has been paying attention over the past few weeks when both her parents were forced to work from home.
Down in New Jersey the FBR and her parental units were having a very busy weekend. My daughter and the FBR created a homemade apple pie for Wingman. The FBR enjoyed it so much that she was thinking of new pies they could make, to the point she even had a pie cookbook and walked me through some possibilities during our Facetime call. She also suggested we invent a water pie or a ketchup pie but her mother and I convinced her these were probably not good ideas. The whole family walked to central Maplewood to take part in a socially distanced Black Lives Matter demonstration, the FBR’s first ever protest. Wingman also finally got a chance to semi-celebrate his birthday, in addition to the apple pie, he joined a few of his friends for some socially distanced libations.
At the Protest

FBR Figuring Things Out
I never thought it would happen but I think I finally understand the Black Lives Matter movement, even more astounding I agree with them on a lot of their issues. It took the blunt force trauma to my head of seeing the Minneapolis cop kneeling on George Floyd’s neck to get my attention. What changed my mind was hearing the experiences of so many African Americans who live in real fear of the police based on interactions with them. I’ve always been a bit of an apologist for the police but that will stop. They should be held to a much higher standard. Good cops would agree with me.
Coming Home

FBR looks Ready for Anything

She Even Took Some Action Shots of her Mother 
I finished my march through the Rambo movie. My ranking of them appears below. What I didn’t realize about these movies, because I is not what you remember, but Rambo actually gets his ass seriously kicked in most of his movies. Of course the perpetrators are more than paid back, Rambo style. I really liked the last two installments but nothing beat the first one. I also embarked on my Wingman suggested foray into Indiana Jones territory.
1 – First Blood
2 - Rambo (2008) ...
3 - Rambo: Last Blood
4 - Rambo III
5 - Rambo: First Blood Part II  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment