Friday, June 12, 2020

Precinct Too Far


Until recently I always thought Black Lives Matter was a fringe organization that overstated their case and I’d successfully tuned them out. That has changed over the past few weeks after Minneapolis. I’ve listened as some very eloquent people have made their case. I’m probably the poster boy for those the movement is trying to convince - a white, middle class, mostly republican type. They did it. I heard their message and want to support them in their efforts to reform police departments.
BRS Enjoying Abuela Time
I think this reflects a nationwide awakening by white America that usually comes down on the side of law enforcement. Therefore I’m very troubled that the more radical elements of the movement have seized/occupied a Seattle police station and declared an “autonomous zone” within the city. This isn’t demonstrating, this is in point of fact, an insurrection, armed rebellion. It will hijack the progress that has been made over the past weeks reaching out to people like me. Naturally the Twitterer in Chief immediately pounced on this as a means to denigrate the entire movement and gain political points.
FBR - The Artiste at Work
I’m a firm believer that the most radical elements from both ends of the political spectrum should be marginalized. The strength of America is the willingness of a diverse population to come together despite the fanatics on both ends trying to divide us. I’m hoping the Seattle situation is resolved quickly and peacefully so the momentum achieved can be maintained and white America doesn’t go running back to the safety of strict law and order types.
The granddaughters remain the light of my life. I relish the brief glances I get of them each evening. The paragraphs above are a hope for their futures in an America I truly believe in. I polished off the last Indiana Jones movie last night and my ranking of them is included below. I surprised myself on the re-watch as I thought there would be a completely different rating, except for the top spot, of course.
1. Raiders of the Lost Ark.
2. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
3. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
4. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment