Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Wick-ed Good

Got Some New Pictures of the BRS in Action

We’ve had a couple days with some actual sunshine pouring down, something completely out of character for 2019 so far. This meant my Favorite Panamanian and I were outside in her vast garden complex yesterday after work. She has decreed that the existing mulch must go which means we were raking that up and I was tasked with carrying it up the hill for disposal under our fallen tree. Maneuvering the wheelbarrow up the steps was definably a lesson in discovery learning. Most of the discarded mulch made it to its final resting place; I’ll have to address how much I squeeze into each load (sorry for that image).





This also means I will finally start digging my long awaited drainage pipe into the side yard. I could have really used it over the past few weeks but it never stopped raining. I would have been digging in a soup which is not the most productive method. So tonight after work I’ll fulfil my mother’s prediction (whenever she felt I was being lazy) and become a ditch digger. There’ll be the added benefit of the rest of the mulch to maneuver up the hill as well. I might just miss the rain a little bit.
Yesterday’s other big event, in addition to talking with granddaughters, was date night and John Wick 3. You really have to credit how much mileage the filmmakers have gotten out of the melancholy hit man prone to cartoon level violence. I should have bought an interest in whatever company makes the blood squibs for the movie industry. That mileage has been attained by keeping the story fresh and achieving significant forward momentum. A large dose of the credit should also be given to Mr. Reeves who draws you into his world and makes you share every punch he takes despite his seeming indestructability. This movie picks up where the last one left off with John running to meet his fate at the hands of a virtual army of assassins. The body count meet the usual “Wickian” standard but, once again, doesn’t feel stale, although I could have done without the close-up of the knife puncturing the eyeball (yep – John Friggin Wick). Wick starts out the movie by proving the power of the written word against a massive opponent. The dogs also finally get a piece of the action which, along with Halle Berry, makes for one of the most entertaining action sequences ever. New York City should get billing as a supporting actor as most of the killing is done there and at the mythical hotel for criminals where the climatic scenes take place. We are also brought further into the murky world of the higher power that’s after Wick because his sins of the second movie. Keeping things interesting, the androgynous actor/ress from Billions appears as adjudicator and did  everything in his/her power to set her/himself up as target #1 (probably more 1A) in John Wick 4, because that’s going to happen. This has been way too much fun to stop now. Reeves may look a little weary but he’s found the role that will define him and he’s awesome.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment