Thursday, May 23, 2019

Hard Lesson Relearned

Target Area - Before I started

I shouldn’t have needed the schooling but nature provided it anyways. Last night I learned my ever youthful brain should stop making decisions my 63 year old body has to cash. I’ve been chomping at the bit to dig in a drainage pipe in our side lawn. This is something I could have handled with no problem even ten years ago. The past ten years though proved they lay heavier than their predecessors, even though they’ve been mostly sedentary. This contrasts with my earlier years where I was running around the world with the Army carrying heavy loads running through the various forests as well as more dusty locales.
Trench Dug

Pea Stones In
At any rate I arrived home from work chomping at the bit to get to work. I was halfway through the trench, only ten inches deep, when I realized I was getting my ass kicked. This is when the inevitable male pride kicked in and I forced myself to keep going. I somehow knew my Favorite Panamanian would not appreciate a freshly dug trench crossing the yard left exposed. I eventually got the trench in, laid the pipe, covered it in pea stones and then replaced the sod.
Sod Replaced

New Pine Tree Planted
Replaces One on Far Left which I Moved 
A smart man would have declared victory at this point and headed for the sofa, something my body and a rapidly aged brain was telling me to do. However the aforementioned Panamanian had come out and was laboring in her vast garden complex. After transporting the rest of the old mulch up the hill I volunteered to dig holes for her newest bulb plantings. I couldn’t resist since I could dig a hole in a fraction of the time I could see her taking. Again this was probably intentional on her part. As the sun was setting I was covering up the last of the excavations and headed or a hot shower, completely re-educated.
A Freind Posted this on Facebook
How Long Did it Take to See Both faces?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment