Monday, May 20, 2019

Babysitting, Graduating, Anticlimaxing

2 Happy Grandparents and the BRS

I spent the entire past weekend running around which meant I still haven’t got to my excavating project in the back yard. So I guess I can count that as a win. Spending time with the BRS can certainly be labeled as a triumph, especially since she is turning into such an entertaining little cuss. My Favorite Panamanian and I were drafted as babysitters for Saturday evening as my Favorite Son and the ABFA had to attend a wedding. (interesting side note – the bride was the person who introduced my son and the ABFA – so – kudos).
We witnessed firsthand the geometric progression in mobility the BRS has achieved in the very short time since we last saw her. She as motoring around the house upright and required more than usual monitoring to insure she didn’t stray into danger. My wife, of course, was completely in her element and the BSR broke into a huge smile as soon as she heard my wife’s distinctive voice.
Son and ABFA at Wedding





We walked around the neighborhood along with Riggins who felt it was his job to wrap his leash around my lower legs on the rare occasion my wife let me push the BRS stroller. My BRS has turned into quite the power eater and put on an impressive display for us. She absolutely destroyed a plate of lentils and rice that my wife brought for her to taste for the first time. We were reminded again how taxing, physically, it is trying to keep up with a toddler despite their lack of speed. I think it’s the constant motion aspect of their activity. The BRS was certainly on top of her game in that department.
Demonstrating Proper Kiss Blowing Technique

Abuela Almost Got it 




A Very Good Looking Abuela

Riggins About to Wind

All too soon (since we’re grandparents and not parents) it was time for her to go to bed and she immediately went to sleep which reminded us of her father who was the best baby ever in that department. Her parents assured us that this was not normal behavior however. It was one of those win-win situations since they had a great time at the wedding and we did as well chasing after their offspring.
Sunday Morning Hangs with Dad

Favorite Bear

And Grandpa
We received some disturbing news from New Jersey where the FBR had spiked another fever Saturday morning. A visit to the doc’s revealed an ear infection (her first) which they hoped to knock down over the day. Sunday morning brought much better news as the FBR was back to bouncing on the couch as our daughter tried to catch us up. The FRB was especially psyched when she heard there was a bounce house in her immediate future as they were headed out for a community fair.
FBR Back on her  Feet with Daughter

FBR Horseback

Strolling with Friends

The Obligatory Bounce House
Our time with the BRS and her parental units was unfortunately truncated by the need to return to Worcester to attend a college graduation party for the daughter of the Panamanian Mafia. The drive back was terrible with torrential rain the entire way because, why not. I was a little concerned because the party was supposed to be outside. The weirdest thing happened when the rain cut off a few miles north of Worcester. I will never again question the power of the Panamanian Mafia. The party took place under summer like conditions with the usual gaggle of really fun friends and acquaintances.
Proud Grad with my Favorite Panamanian
I’d warned my wife ahead of time that I was submerging myself in the Man Cave for the series conclusion of Game of Thrones and would brook no tasking once I went under. Luckily she was even more engrossed in the season finale of American Idol upstairs. I won’t go into any details that would ruin it for people who haven’t seen it (like a certain son of mine) but the whole thing was anti-climactic. The series really ended with the dual battles of Winterfell and King’s Landing. It was okay as all questions were answered but bittersweet since it was like losing a bunch of friends. I felt the same way as when I reach the end of a series of well-liked books when I don’t want to leave the company of the characters. In a weird coincidence since I’m between authors in my reading campaign, I talked with my son Sunday morning about going back to reading the Wheel of Time series again which is the last time I experienced what I’m trying to explain. At least with the series end hopefully George R.R. Martin will get back to publishing the books since I think he made a  deal with HBO to keep them under wraps until they finished off the TV series.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment