Sunday, May 5, 2019

Washing and Wearing

Tavern Dinner with Soxfather and Great Aunt

Yesterday was the day for the annual power washing of the backyard behemoth known as Deckzilla. I started around 9am and went for six hours straight. The winter and persistent rains over what is officially labeled as spring were fairly wearing on the beast. The power washing returned Deckzilla to her more natural looking state but she is a huge S.O.B. Temps were in the low sixties and since I worked from the top down I was soaked after the first fifteen minutes. While I wasn’t exactly cold it was still fairly chilling to have cold water constantly drenching my feet for six hours. She’ll get her annual coat of sealant later this week to prep for her 2019 debut as a party platform on Mother’s Day weekend. The bone deep cold was worth the delighted expression my Favorite Panamanian gave me when she saw the results.
Great Aunt and Favorite Panamanian at McShawn's
Every good deed requires recognition and there was no better way to reward my labors than a short thunder run down to Rhode Island to link up with Great Aunt and Soxfather for dinner followed by a McShawn’s night with Soxfather’s family. We visited some of our old stomping grounds in Garden City not far from where both my kids attended first grade. The place has been transformed and we grabbed dinner at a recently opened tavern. The Kentucky Derby was playing on several dozen televisions throughout the place which I possibly could not have cared less about although there were some interesting hats on the bar patrons. Soxfather opined that the refurbished Garden City area would make an excellent pub crawl location. I like the way that man thinks.
After one of Soxfather’s patented tour of the back streets of Cranston to reach McShawn’s we joined his gathering family around the bar. Our usual corner table was occupied but there was plenty of room around the bar and adjoining tables to accommodate the fun. My Favorite Panamanian partook of a second sangria which had me a little nervous since she was my ride home but she only imbibed a fraction of it and I was soon beyond caring. As always the group fell into the normal pattern of catching up and sharing stories while the Bruins and Red Sox played on several screens. My feet finally didn’t feel cold after soaking up the warmth of spending time with some of my favorite people in the world.
A Rare Face Front Picture of Soxfather's Sister
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment