Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Stormy Night


I was reminded very clearly last night of my Army career, actually multiple episodes of that time. I grew up in New England where tornadoes were something exotic and firmly assigned to the plains of the mid-west. I know now that was not exactly accurate but after living several years in that same mid-west I knew tornadoes were an annual and very serious threat there. My Favorite Panamanian was/is terrified of severe weather and this probably explains her antipathy towards the years we spent in the great state of Kansas (which I loved).
Another view of the Weekend Party on Deckzilla
This is a very roundabout route to arrive at the events of last night. Our daughter called to report that she was in the middle of a tornado warning in New Jersey and one had actually touched down a couple towns over. I will digress here to recount that my daughter in firmly in her mother’s school of thought when it comes to tornadoes. My wife always tells the story of a much younger version of my daughter being very angry with me because I was always deployed and away from home whenever a tornado warning caused disruption in our Kansas home. Hopefully she outgrew that antipathy but last night she performed like a champion.
FBR Sleeping through Storm in the Basement
Somehow (and this we’re still trying to figure out) she got the FBR out of bed, carried her down to basement, and then back up to her bedroom after the storm passed with the FBR never waking up. This is unheard of territory with the FBR, who fights sleep almost to the same degree her mother did. Since Wingman was working last night my daughter had to handle the situation alone so he should probably be ready for some of the guilt I was assigned back in Kansas days. I’m proud of my tornado trained daughter. In my own defense I was present for the only tornado that actually came down in our vicinity; we were living in Tennessee at the time.
BRS Preparing the Head out Complete with Purse and Offspring

Pied piper Working the Next Generation
Yesterday’s post was so full of the preceding weekend that I didn’t want to dilute my annual message to Soxfather on the occasion of his birth. We tried to reach him last night to assault his sanity with our usual singing rendition of happy birthday but he was predictably on his way to Fenway Park where he did a particularly bad job of motivating his beloved Red Sox. I grew up with three sisters so finding my long sought after brother back in 1979 was a very big deal. He’s done everything over the intervening years to cement my view on the intelligence of my sister in choosing him. He is simply one of the very best people I’ve met in this journey through life and I consider myself blessed to have him around. He’s already started his designated role as the pied piper of toddlers with the next generation. Happy Birthday Soxfather!
Weather was nasty around here last night but with no tornadic activity I was able to coax the Favorite Panamanian out for date night. We saw Booksmart which is a very funny film. It’s hard to imagine finding new and fertile ground in the well-trod ground of high school coming of age stories but here you go. This tells the story of two female high school overachievers who reach graduation night to realize they never partied. I have no basis to relate to that situation but the two young actresses do a superb job of pulling the viewer in. There were some incredibly funny moments as they crisscross L.A. trying to find an epic graduation party, ably assisted by the neighborhood serial killer. I particularly liked that the stereotypical supporting characters were not over the top and irredeemable. There was some real heart infused into the script without sacrificing the laughs. I think the word I’m looking for is poignant; one of the best movies I’ve seen this year.  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment