Monday, May 6, 2019

Wedding Surprises


There were a couple of notable surprises yesterday surrounding our attendance at the Rhode Island wedding of one of our friends’ sons. The one that should go into some sort of record books was the fact we arrived early at a formal event not related to the military. While in the military I was able to curb my Favorite Panamanian cultural aversion to arriving anywhere on time but those days are far behind us now. My wife’s required prep phase for these type events usually requires a mad dash to the finish line. For reasons I’m still trying to fathom my wife was ready ahead of schedule and recommended we leave a little early for the hour+ long drive down to Rhode Island.
You Knew if there was a baby in the Crowd it would End up in My Wife's Arms
This one Belongs to the Groom's Brother 
The wedding and reception took place at Quidnessett Country Club in North Kingston which was very posh but looked a little soggy with the persistent rain. The ceremony had to be moved inside which led to some sound issues as noise from another banquet in the adjoining room bled over but the bride was beautiful, the love obvious, and we quickly found ourselves in the middle of a well-planned reception. The bride and groom are kind of a “small world”, cool happenstance. We are good friends of the groom’s parents who were our next door neighbors when we lived in Rhode Island in the early 90’s. Their three sons were veritable fixtures in our house during that time. The gal he was marrying was related my cousin’s wife from Belchertown, MA. This meant two wildly disparate factions of my social circles were colliding.

My cousin had met the parents several times over the years and when he heard his wife’s relative was marrying a guy with a Japanese father and Portuguese mother the light went on. We’ve had some fun over the ensuing months with this incredible coincidence. We were seated at a table with the sister of my cousin’s wife and having a lot of fun. My cousin and his wife were not attending, or so we thought. After the dinner was served and the dancing started I glanced over at the dance floor to see that very same cousin and his wife sauntering across the floor with huge grins on their faces. The sister breathed a huge sigh of relief because she had been instructed to keep their attendance a secret from me.  
My Cousin and I Last Night
Their arrival made an already great night even more special. Since I had to work today I was not imbibing any adult beverages which was a first for me at a wedding reception (other than a very dry Southern Baptist one I once attended) as well as being in the same room as my cousin. We both inherited my father’s family seemingly professional level of beer drinking acumen which goes into overdrive when we’re together. I think this was also the first time I’d ever been dancing without some liquid courage because you knew I was going to be out on the floor if my wife was in the same grid square. I’ve always enjoyed hanging out with my cousin’s fantastic group of hometown friends and to be surrounded by them and the groom’s very entertaining family made the reception almost too much fun.

My wife was able to make the trip back home from Rhode Island as a passenger which is another very rare occurrence (see last Saturday night). We dropped our cousin off at his hotel on the way home and I’m sure they continued partying into the night which made the work week restrictions I operate under even more onerous. Nothing could dim the night though – some surprises are of the most welcome sort possible. Finally today marks the FBR’s first day in pre-school. I wasn’t able to connect with her over the weekend so I can’t wait to get an update. Wingman sent along this picture of her heading out on this new adventure.
Off to Pre-School
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment