Monday, February 4, 2019

Super Six

ABFA and BRS Have a Right to Smile Today

I grew up with a Patriots team that was the laughing stock of the NFL. I say that now that they have evolved into the most dominant dynasty in the history of the league winning their sixth Super Bowl championship last night. They turned the clock back and delivered a defensive effort for the ages. In this time of freewheeling offenses they locked down and embarrassed a young quarterback who looked completely overwhelmed for the entire game. The defense was needed because the Rams were almost as good on their side limiting Sir Thomas to modest offensive gains as well.

The game was tied 3-3 going into the final quarter but I was eerily calm in my lonely Man Cave. When the Pats got the ball back and the crowd started chanting his name, the Greatest Quarterback of All Time delivered. Brady moved the team down for the game’s only touchdown which came, appropriately, on a running play where the Patriots’ blockers out physicalled their opponents and imposed their will.
In a sport where too many of the stars want to call attention to themselves both during and outside of games it was gratifying to see the Patriots teach the importance of a complete team effort; where the result of the group is more important than personal accolades. It warms my heart to think about how this win was received from the self-important Pittsburgh fans that treated Keene Friend and I so rudely a few years back. Karma can be a deathly cold bitch at times.
FBR is also Wearing a Pats Smile
Going back to my initial comment about where the Patriots have evolved from, there is hope for cities like Cleveland. It can be done (of course they fired Belichick). This was my loneliest Super Bowl ever which made the jumping up and cheering I did seem a little silly but thoroughly enjoyed otherwise. I ate way too much food after a trip to the grocery store provided enough to feed at least an infantry squad. I did get periodic check ins from my Favorite Panamanian who attended a Super Bowl party with her cousins. They were asking why there wasn’t more scoring. I didn’t have time or credentials to give them a block of instruction on the defensive excellence on display.
Favorite Son and BRS at Game time
I also checked in after the game with both kids. My Favorite Son was up much later than he’s used to but was extremely psyched. The FBR had departed the realm for slumber before the game, which is still a complete mystery to her, concluded. Her parents are raising her correctly as her garb displays. The same is going on down in New Jersey although the FBR will face a steeper slope since she’s growing up just a few miles from the home stadium of the Jets. She still proudly wears her Brady gear and can deliver a “Go Pats!” with the best of them.
FBR Imposing Chaos
Her parents arranged for a group of friends and their children to watch the game and I fondly remembered the absolute chaos of the first playoff games I watched down there in similar circumstances just a few weeks ago. I caught up with them after the game and they admitted to being the only Patriots’ fans in the room which must have made it sweet. The chaos level appeared evident from the debris strewn about the room from the FBR and her cohorts who could only stay up for the first half. I was impressed at the level of destruction achieved in that short time span.
Mini-Brady Lady
It’ll be a few days before I write here again because I’m off on my own southern escape early tomorrow morning. I have a couple errands to run on Wednesday but should be firmly ensconced in our condo by Thursday awaiting the arrival of the entire gang for a memorable vacation together. We now have something else to celebrate, not that we needed any additional motivation.
While waiting for the game to start I snuck down to the cinema to see Miss Bala. I’m a huge fan of Gina Rodriguez and I felt frustrated that she was given this as a vehicle. She plays an L.A. makeup artist who’d drawn into Tijuana drug wars when she visits a friend there. A drug lord uses her first as a drug mule, then a beauty queen, and finally as an assassin. I know the filmmakers were trying to tap into the female empowerment vibe but this didn’t work. It was a hard to imagine a more inept drug cartel as well as the other power brokers supposedly tugging our heroine in multiple directions. Rodriguez gamely tries to make it all work but she’s eventually overwhelmed by the inanity. She deserves better.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment