Thursday, February 21, 2019

Dichotomous Landscapes


I provide two photos today which display in no uncertain terms the dramatic change in scenery I’ve been subjected to over the past 24 hours. Just that short time ago I was enjoying the tropical view from our beachfront condo and this morning I was out moving ice and snow out of my driveway. It’s not a “fairness” issue because I rightfully assumed this morning’s exercise was a form of penance for the exorbitant amount of fun I had at the beach over the past couple weeks.
Parting Shot
I took this Photo as I Walked out of Condo for Last Time
The trip back yesterday was flawless. I spent my last night in Panama trying to eat every chicken wing the city of David offered. I was assisted in this by my wife’s incomparable family who gave me a fantastic send off. I flew back business class which was nice but I’m not convinced it’s worth the additional cost, except when paying for with accumulated miles. I did miss the sense of chaotic community and long rest room lines offered in the main cabin. In prior years and trips to Panama I’ve always found myself looking forward to returning to work. That was not the case yesterday. I think I’m ready for that anticipated retirement.
Driveway This Morning
I found Keene Friend circling the parking lot when I stepped out into the frigid air and we stopped at the 99 restaurant that my Favorite Son and I used to lunch at when he worked in Marlboro on our way home. I found something a little weird when I got home. The upstairs heat was off and the control panel was turned off. I assumed the batteries had failed but when I opened the panel to replace them I noticed that one battery had been reversed, positive pole turned to the negative side. I assumed this was done by either Deckzilla Dude or the electrician while I was gone but I contacted both of them and they denied it. So I have a mystery on my hands.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment