Thursday, February 7, 2019

Isthmus Landfall

Back with My Favorite Panamanian

Okay – so I woke up to this view (see below) this morning which made the charging around the last couple days more than worth it. Keene Friend gave me a lift into the airport on Tuesday morning just ahead of the Patriots’ Championship Parade celebration (that last bit was for the Steelers fans). This was the first trip I had scheduled flying first class by cashing in accumulated miles and it has everything to recommend it. I felt guilty dozing off because that meant  I wasn’t taking full advantage of the rare luxury if I was sleeping.
The only glitch was the connecting flight into David where the pilot did one of the old touch and goes. I thought we were going kind of fast and I glanced out the window to see the terminal passing by with no touch down yet which meant we were more than half way out of runway. Clenching of certain body parts was followed closely by the pilot gunning the engines to do a go around and the second landing was a little rough but safe.
A Little Goofy at El Fogon
It turns out the delay was needed because my bags were the first off the baggage claim wheel and I walked out into the terminal to a find a breathless Favorite Panamanian. She had literally just walked in the door after trying to accomplish too many errands before driving to the airport, Crisis time management is just her style. It was so good to see her and she proudly showed me our (really her) new car. This will save us thousands we used to spend on rental cars as we used the money we received for selling our land last year to acquire it. She might even let me drive it one of these days.
Alright Dear, I'll Settle Down for a Serious Picture
There was a whirlwind trip back to my mother in law’s house where we acquired the requisite family members and headed to my favorite David hangout – El Fogon. Our favorite waiter treated me like a returning family member and we settled in for a truly fun evening joined by my brother in law and his very fun spouse. Traveling though is nothing if not exhausting even though I did nothing but sit on my butt for most of the day.
Our Table at El Fogon
Unfortunately the dogs of the neighbors decided Tuesday night was their scheduled night for continuous barking. They put a serious dent in my love of the canine species.
We were up early since we were commuting to Panama City for the day. We caught an early morning flight back to the capitol because after everything was approved with my residency status I still had to get a “cedula” which is the ID card all Panamanians have to get and is the basis of just about everything. My wife’s uncle picked us up at the old Albrook AFB airfield and dropped us off at the Tribunal Electoral. This is a newly built, very impressive, huge structure right next to Ancon Hill smack dab in the middle of what used to be the Canal Zone.
The Tribunal
As with many of the Panamanian built structures I’m sure there was a message being sent that this is their land, now and forever. Can’t say as I don’t blame them. It was somewhat fitting that the process of this residency status really started 37 years ago when I married in a civil ceremony (that my wife didn’t recognize until we got to a church) just a block from this new building. We were sent to the Foreigner ID card section which after a few more bouts with the bureaucracy I sat down for the photo and fingerprinting. It will now be two weeks before it’s sent up to David where my wife will have to retrieve but it is finally done.
The Immense Ball Pit
We spent a fun afternoon afterwards with my wife’s uncle and his girlfriend. They took us back to the Alta Plaza mall for lunch. This is where I saw the 4D movie during my last visit. I had the best burger I’ve ever had in Panama (not a steep climb but it was good). I spent the rest of the time monitoring my wife as she sought out the well-hidden bargains. She’s become adept at drawing the “gift of a granddaughter card” whenever she has to convince me of the importance of a purchase. The center of the mall boasted an immense ball pit surrounding a large climbing tower. I imagined the FBR relishing the opportunity it offered every time I looked at it.
FBR is Goggle Ready
We returned to Albrook to catch our late afternoon flight back to David. We were both exhausted thanks to the neighbor’s dogs and slept most of the 40 minute flight. My wife’s sister picked us up and there followed a trip to two separate grocery stores where we shoehorned in food for coming week as well as my baggage and set out for Las Lajas. The condo building was deserted when we pulled in well after 10pm but that was a good thing since the elevator was all ours for the shuttling of supplies upwards.
Following a Long Line of English Pirates to Invade Panama
Now we have to get everything configured for the weekend arrival of both of our “kids” and their families. This has been a vacation several years in the planning and I can’t wait to initiate both the FBR and the BRS into the mystical beauty of Las Lajas and hopefully forge a lifelong bond with this magical place. I better stop writing because I’m getting the stink eye from a certain Panamanian which tells me there are some chores that I need to address.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment