Monday, February 18, 2019

Footprints in Tropical Sand

Footprints of My Wife, Myself and the Two Granddaughters
Most, if not all, footprints made in the sand of a beach quickly fall victim to the tides, washed from existence. I’d like to think my family made some of a more indelible class this past week on the incomparable beach of Las Lajas. I’ve assiduously avoided writing here on Frail Deeds for the past week during the time my entire family was gathered down here. Writing seemed like such a mundane waste compared with spending any amount of time with any of the visiting family members.
FBR Sprinting Through Airport

To Find her Grampa
The party started a week ago Sunday with the morning arrival of the New Jersey bunch, my daughter, Wingman, and of course, the FBR. My wife’s entire family gathered to welcome the arriving dignitaries but as predicted as soon as the FBR spotted me she bellowed out a loud ”GRAMPA!” and charged through the disembarking passengers to deliver one of her signature hugs. She was initially a little more circumspect about greeting the other aunts, uncles, grandparents which I was taken to task for, as if I had any control over her preferences.
Later that Day ABFA, Son, and BRS Arrive
After a quick trip to the grocery store to lay in supplies for the week we were off to Las Lajas, with the FBR inquiring every five minutes about the distance remaining. My wife’s mother and sisters also journeyed down to spend the day with us at the beach. My Favorite Panamanian and I were back on the road to David late in the afternoon to greet the second half of the family deployment as my Favorite Son, the ABFA and the BRS arrived. There was a fair amount of trepidation involved in the trip as this was the BRS’ first long trip and first airplane trip. She handled both like an absolute champ as had the FBR earlier.
Sunset Viewing Array
The parents were predictably a little gassed from their day long trip, After running the gauntlet of welcoming family members, reassembled for their arrival, we stopped by El Fogon for some nutrition before another grocery store stop and a night drive down to Las Lajas. I felt a certain feeling of fulfillment when I had everybody under the same roof. The condo is fairly spacious but hosting eight people, even with two of them of the miniature variety, would have been a challenge if we weren’t all so close. Family is cool that way.
Wife and FBR at Sunset
My wife and I gave up the bedrooms to the visitors since they both arrived with young children who’s bed times had to be regulated. We had a queen sized inflatable mattress which occupied the middle of the family room each night after we decided to retire. This turned out to be handy in the morning when each granddaughter woke up and was released into our custody so their parents could hopefully grab some extra sleep.
Early Morning Abuela Time
This was predictably a joy for my wife and I and we settled into a routine for the week where we would anxiously await the appointed hour when our bed was populated with smiling granddaughters. We also started a tradition of a morning beach walk to reduce the decibel levels within the condo and assist the aforementioned extended parental slumber.
Party Timer With Invulnerable Pinata

BRS Takes Her Swings

Wife's Family Around Cake
The big event of the week was a birthday celebration where  a large percentage of my wife’s very large family assembled to mark the birthdays of my wife, her twin sister, and of course, the BRS. There was a large mermaid themed piñata that proved invulnerable to our most dedicated strikes. A large family contingent stayed in the nearby Show Pony hotel where their large room served as a party location for two nights running.
BRS Constantly Changing Fridge Magnets
Most of the story of this magical week will be told through the accompanying pictures. The FBR was initially a little tentative about the pool requiring assistance even with her floaties capably holding her above water level. By the end of the week she eschewed any assistance and was confidently crisscrossing the pool in an always entertaining series of games she created. At one point I was a bear and she was a shark. The FBR showed no fear at all when I would launch her into the air for a splash landing with Wingman. The BRS on the other hand, was overly confident throughout the week, truly relishing her first ever time in a pool. The girl is going to be something of a daredevil.
Launching the FBR
She even tried crawling into the waves when we brought her down to the surf line. The FBR would hold court in the shallow water and greet whichever adult arrived on the boogie board that she wanted to see another ride. That was one of her easier demands to fill. We gathered each evening on the beach to watch the sun descend into the Pacific, usually in spectacular fashion. On two evenings I was called upon to gather some drift wood and we had bonfires in the condo fire pit. The FBR labeled this as officially “camping”. Her abuela introduced her to the magic of marshmallow roasting while I focused on trying not to burn down the grass thatched bohio inexplicably placed right next to the fire pit.
FBR Camping

While hanging out with my granddaughters was the predicted delight I think my favorite part of the week for me was the time we got to spend with their parents. All too often our visits are consumed with chasing after the aforementioned progeny. This week afforded us the time to remember how much we actually like each other. The highlight of the week for me was the final night together where was gathered around the table to play a spirited game of rummy. My wife would claim too “spirited” as I accidently broke one of her lampshades over the table by celebrating a winning discard. I only bled a little and everybody, especially the ABFA for some reason, had a good laugh at my predicament.
Gathered Around Table
The BRS discovered on her third night here that she was sleeping in the same room as her parents and this led to some rough nights for them over their remaining time here. Instead of falling back to sleep like she does in her own room at home she decided to inform her parents that it was time to play on repeated occasions throughout the night. The early morning grandparent beach walk was therefore especially welcome by my son and the ABFA.
Independently Aquatic FBR
I felt a certain closing of fate with the passing of this week. For so long my wife and I talked about hosting the family down here and realizing that long held dream was more than redeemed in superb fashion. We didn’t try to do too much other than enjoying the beach, pool, and mostly each other’s company. They usually visit Panama every two years but they were convinced they’ll be back net year. Las Lajas will do that to you. They’re all safely back home as I write this and it was a little sad to return to a very empty condo but I can’t stop smiling thinking about the unmitigated success the entire week was.
Show Pony Party Room

Family Time in Condo Pool

ABFA Taking her Swings

Sunsetting

Sand Dollar Hunt

Wingmnan and FBR

Daughter and FBR

The New Hampshire Bunch
 
BRS Did Not Like Spiky Grass

But loved the Pool

FBR in Elevator


Cousins!

























Airport Welcoming Crew

FBR Meets the Condo Balcony


BRS Meeting her Panamanian Family

Morning Granddaughter Time


FBR Monitoring Offshore Activities




























Beach-side Restaurant


Meeting the Birds













------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment