Friday, February 8, 2019

Pacific Sun Swallowing

Clapping Because ITS HER BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

I don’t really need an excuse to celebrate, especially when I’m firmly ensconced in our beachfront condo during the best time of year in Panama with nary a cloud wandering by. However today is a truly auspicious date because it marks the very first birthday of the BRS, my incomparable granddaughter. We’ll be celebrating here (it also being the First Friday of the Week) but it’s with a certain bate to the breath since not only will the birthday girl and her parents be arriving here on Sunday but they’ll be joined by the BRS’ cousin in chief – the FBR.
T-Shirt Says It All

Just the thought of having these special young ladies and their adult entourages makes my heart swell. When my Favorite Panamanian and I started down the path to acquiring this place we always talked about a time when our kids and hopefully their children (since even the FBR wasn’t on site at that time) would come down to enjoy it with us. That day will finally arrive on Sunday and I find myself almost giddy with anticipation although I’m sure that isn’t very age appropriate for someone with my accumulation of years. I could not care less.
Also a Mommy's Girl
Today though marks the completion of the BRS’ first year on earth where she has delighted us form the moment of her arrival. She gave the ABFA quite a ride before finally deciding to make an appearance but she turned out to be more than worth the wait. My son, her father, has always taken me to task about my relationship with his sister. I always blithely answered that he couldn’t understand because it was a father-daughter thing. He’s now figuring it out for himself and the BRS has everything to do about that. I recently asked him if he understood what I meant all these years and he guiltily nodded.
The Conquest of Daddy is Complete



She’s already an accomplished clapper and nearly broke my heart last night during our Facetime call when she waved to me. She also accomplished an important task for her abuela who is renowned for being date-challenged, finding it hard to remember key dates. The BRS was born four days before her abuela’s birthday, much like the FBR being born four days before mine. Both granddaughters made it easy for us. This upcoming week will be something very special.
FBR Will Also be in the House er Condo

She Has Pronounced herself Ready
I spent my first full day at the condo yesterday waking up to the sound of Las Lajas’ incomparable surf since high tide was breaking about fifty yards from my bedroom. The morning was spent waiting for the air conditioning guy to show up. He eventually did and repaired the AC in the guest room which will be important for the upcoming week. I finished unpacking all the various items I was charged with bringing for my wife although the only thanks I got was remarks about the things I forgot (it happens).
We spent the entire afternoon out on the beach switching off on the boogie board. We had the entire beach, as far as we could see, to ourselves. After a session in the pool we set up shop under one of the bohios beachside to wait out the day reading and talking (that was mostly her). As hoped Las Lajas delivered one of its signature sunsets. The accompanying pictures don’t do it justice as the bright orange sun sank into the Pacific. I’d forgotten how fast it went once it reached the horizon but it approached breathtaking.
I spent a large part of the evening trying to tap into my inner Wingman. Without a millennial around to supervise me I was charged by my wife with installing an Amazon fire stick on the tv in the hopes of acquiring some needed programming. Right now we’re restricted to Netflix and YouTube which I don’t think is all that bad but apparently inadequate when I’m not around. Somehow, and against all odds I was successful. I even figured out how to load the local Boston news feed and watched Channel Five news. I’m sure there’s much more I can do with it but I sagely told my wife that Wingman and my son arrive on Sunday to offer more cogent advice. Yet another thing to dance about.
Just Turned to my Right and Snapped this - Paradise!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment