Monday, February 25, 2019

Oscar Overload


I’m starting to get used to a solitary viewing of the Academy Awards each year. This is necessitated by my wife’s annual absence for warmer climes but hopefully this is the last year I am so unencumbered. I hope to watch the 2020 Oscars while hearing breaking surf off to my right. I truly overestimated my capacity for snack inhalation when I was buying same for the show. This night is one of my cheat nights and I had visions of sweets going downrange that were completely outside of my capacity. I did try but admitted defeat in the face of overwhelming odds, it was a true case of conspicuous consumption.
As an incorrigible movie geek the Oscars are akin to the Super Bowl for me and I watch it from start to finish, once all the red carpet silliness finishes. My daughter shares my affliction and hosted her annual party complete with snacks themed to each of the best picture nominees. She had her biggest turnout ever and pronounced the event a complete success. The only blip on her screen was the FBR who was feeling better and decidedly unhappy about her required bedtime. I caught up with them prior to the festivities and could see the FBR was hovering in meltdown territory.
This was a hostless Oscar show which saved time but did lead to some awkward moments but overall I really liked the show. I correctly predicted 12 categories but still fell short of my daughter’s tally once again. She’s good. I liked that more popular movies are starting to get some recognition along with the usual unseen, “artsy” films that Oscar habitually kowtows to.Black Panther took in some awards along with Green Book as Best Picture which I thought was a great decision since I was afraid Roma would get it. Roma definitely falls into the artsy type I was complaining about. While the craftsmanship was obvious I thought it was a depressing movie and unworthy (an opinion not shared by my daughter). It's really weird to see one of the gross out comedy Farrelly brothers associated with an Best Picture Oscar.
There were some great Queen moments and I liked the selection of Rami Malek for his role in Bohemian Rhapsody. He gave a very nice acceptance speech but the best of the night belonged to surprise winner, Olivia Colman, who was so good in The Favourite. Everyone, including myself, expected Glen Close to win as kind of a career recognition award. Colman, was funny, sincere, and thoroughly entertaining as she won over the whole audience, including Close.
Another great moment was the duet for the eventual winning song Shallow, sung by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper. While Cooper was obviously fighting well above his weight when matching vocal chords with Gaga it was still a very nice performance. Lady Gaga has changed my opinion of her during this awards season. I was always thought she was supremely gifted and weird to the point of psychosis. She’s changed that impression by coming out from behind all the bizarre outfits and letting her talent shine without distraction.
Finally I take this year’s show as a good sign for the academy. The increase in voting membership obviously had an effect with popular films finally getting more of their due. I thought the show moved along nicely without a host and if this continues maybe we’ll look back in the coming years to feel grateful for Kevin Hart’s homophobic phase.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment