Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Last Sunsets

Our Last Las Lajas Sunset for a While

I was so involved in enjoying the presence of my daughter and son’s families that I neglected to realize that my own vacation was of a limited basis. This afternoon I travel back to David to catch an early morning flight to Boston tomorrow. That meant last evening was my last Las Lajas sunset. My wife and took it and the beach rewarded us with one of its singularly colorful swallowing of the sun by the Pacific Ocean.
Wife and I on Our Morning Beach Walk
It was a fun day for just the two of us as we had the entire condo complex to ourselves. I spent the time waiting for the sunset with trailing a hermit crab as he made his way around our seats. I eventually gave him a lift to the surf line as he looked to be in search of a bigger home, barely fitting in his current abode. That was the most exciting event of the day as both my wife and I recovered some of the energy spent over the past week chasing granddaughters.
My Freind - the Crab
We got into our interrupted routine which meant a pre-breakfast beach walk followed by two sessions of boogie boarding and pool swims over the course of the day. Most of the day was spent reading on the beach as the surf marched up and down dictated by the tides. I finished up a book my daughter gifted me, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. I’ve gotten away from commenting on the many books I read but this one needs mentioning. If anybody is looking for a fantastic read then I cannot recommend Eleanor enough. I haven’t enjoyed a book this much in the last five years and found myself laughing out loud in a number of places. It is a book that is simultaneously heartbreaking, poignant, and, as mentioned above, laugh out loud funny. Don’t miss this.

Going to Miss my Beach Reads

So I’m heading home shortly and there is an ice storm to greet my first day back at work. Sounds about right.
Forgot to Comment on the Epic Speed Match Between Son and Daughter
Brought Back a lot of Childhood Memories 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment