Monday, August 13, 2018

Panacea

A Very Happy Grandpa with the FBR and BRS

Mother Nature gave it the old college try to ruin a special day on Saturday but she failed spectacularly The expected morale boost was delivered despite what seemed to be Noah level rains. My daughter and the FBR bravely fought their way through the torrential downpours for nearly five hours to reach us for Saturday’s scheduled party. We felt guilty for asking them to make this herculean effort but I’d like to think we redeemed their effort with an extremely enjoyable party where they got to spend time with family and friends.
Friday Train Ride



This followed a Friday where the FBR took her first ever ride in a  big train with mom and dad for a fun day in New York City’s Central Park. The FBR was exceptionally impressed that she was able to add another zoo to her list. Both my daughter and Wingman were reportedly exhausted by the end of the day.
New York City!






My Favorite Panamanian was frantic as the weather report for Saturday devolved all week until there was little chance of conducting festivities out on Deckzilla. I’m firmly convinced that this a meteorological response to the shock of Soxfather’s family actually leaving their comfort zone marked by the northern border of Rhode Island. Each time they’ve come north to our house monsoons have ensued.
FBR Greeting her Great Gramma upon Arrival

Favorite Panamanian and Daughter

Three Generations of Beauty
We had spent part of the week clearing out the garage in advance of the upcoming renovation project so my wife decided we should bring Deckzilla furniture into the garage and have that area stand in for Deckzilla. It worked out perfectly as the large crowd of party attendees flowed back and forth all evening while the torrents ensued. I still had to venture out onto Deckzilla to man the grill and it seems Mother Nature had taken affront at our temerity of continuing to party in spite of her precipitationary excesses. As soon as I walked out the skies opened up even further to rain that reminded me of the tropics.
FBR Snuck up to Master Bedroom to Mes up her Abuela's
Carefully Stacked Pillow Arrangement


With her Gift from her Bis-Abuela
My shadow for the weekend, the FBR, did not like being restricted to the dry inside and repeatedly tried to sneak out to accompany me in my soggy state. I rigged the deck umbrella to cover the grill but that was made more for shade than protection against this kind of downpour. With the help of Soxfather’s brother in law we were able to shuttle the food into the house under an umbrella.
Inside Party Scenes





Everyone had bought some food and the combination of friends, family, neighbors and the Worcester Chapter of the Panamanian Mafia kept the luau themed party rolling. My Favorite Son, ABFA, the BRS, and the ABFA’s parents also arrived to join in the fun. Both of my granddaughters received a quilt with their name on it created by hand from their great grandmother who was meeting the BRS for the first time.
The Converted garage


Since Panamanians were involved dancing soon broke out in the house with the husband of the Neighborhood Mafioso coaxing my mother in law out onto the dance floor and then playfully ging her a full body pat down. The entire room erupted in laughter and my 85 year old mother in law took in all in stride with her trademark grace. It was a very fun party if you are catching my drift.  
Mother in Law's Special Dance Session

With Known Predator


I’ll have to tell most of the story via the accompanying photos because I was too busy accepting the infusion of morale offered by being around these most special people in my life. We were missing Wingman and my younger sister but this was a truly special gathering and came at a time I needed it for a variety of reasons. The coolest part of the weekend was having both of my kids and granddaughters stay over for the night after the party wound down.
BRS Meets her Great Grandmother

And her FBR Cousin Again


That required a little bit of bed room musical chairs with my wife bunking with her mother and my daughter daring to sleep in the same room as the early rising FBR. We concocted a plan of stacked pillows to mask her presence but this failed miserably in the face of the very inquisitive FBR. My son and his family had the master bedroom so I was consigned to the Man Cave along with Riggins. Riggins was happy for the company but I learned all it takes to bring the Man Cave to uncomfortable summer temperatures was the presence of a mouth breathing golden retriever. It was a small price to pay for spirit lifting these special people were able to bestow.
Proud Grampa

Silly Time with FBR
Sunday commenced with the early morning FBR awakening her mother behind the failed pillow ploy. My wife and I assumed duties so our daughter could sleep in some more. We were soon joined by her cousin as the BRS did not want to miss out on any of the fun. By the time everyone gathered for breakfast I had somehow narrowly avoided yet another viewing of Rudolf the Rednosed Reindeer.
4 Generations


ABFA's mom with the BRS

Abuela Time for the BRS
We’ve discovered that Sunday morning is the best time to traverse the New Jersey to Massachusetts gauntlet so my daughter and the FBR sadly had to leave shortly after breakfast. I was happy to see it only took them the normal three hours to get home. We spent the rest of the morning being entertained by the BRS as she held court in the living room. She now gets up on all fours and seems ready to launch herself. I predict impending mobility which will make her parents’ lives very interesting indeed. My early morning exertions with the FBR combined with my Man Cave time overnight with Riggins meant I was operating on fumes. I made a mistake of sitting in a very comfortable chair which had predictable results which my wife was only too happy to capture for posterity.
Sunday Morning - Worth the Effort
It was in short about as perfect a weekend I could devise. My Favorite Panamanian’s party planning combined with the presence of these oh so special people meant Mother Nature really had no chance in the thwarting department. I don’t even mind Monday today because It’s given me a chance to reflect back on the special people who so thoroughly routed the best Mother Nature could throw at them. I am blessed.
BRS With her Gift

Me and my Saturday Shadow

Meeting up with that Crazy Uncle Soxfather Again 

FBR Directing me Mid-Deluge

ABFA's Dad with the Cousins

FBR Sizing up my Desert

A Little Jealousy When I Got on Floor with the BRS

Nirvana

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got invole din planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latin friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment