Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Break Water and Best Weekend Ever Part 1 Remembered


Before I get to the mundane task of reliving yesterday I must take a moment to mark the passage of another anniversary of the Best Weekend Ever Part 1 which saw my daughter and Wingman tie the knot. Despite the passage of time it still brings smile to my face with the bundled memories of friends and family gathering to watch these two marry. I will remember to my dying day when the church doors opened in front my daughter and I prior to walking down the aisle and being hit with a cascade of emotions I wasn’t totally prepared to deal with. Life is all about those moments. Happy Anniversary you two and thanks for blessing my life with your presence and that special weekend.
Best Weekend Ever!
Yesterday turned out to be a fairly adventurous day, at least for my Favorite Panamanian. She was scurrying around the house dong the last minute things a dutiful daughter will always do when awaiting the imminent arrival of her mother. One item included running down the hill for a quick errand just before we were supposed to leave for the airport. “Quick” is not the operative word when a huge water main breaks between her location and our home. She walked out of the store and saw four helicopters hovering over where she needed to drive.
Linkup At Logan
I received a frantic call in my office saying she didn’t know how to get home because the GPS always sent her right back into the closed streets. I already knew about the break since my staff had been working to detour buses around it since it closed one of Worcester’s main thoroughfares. I later learned that a man described by my wife as “Muy sympatico, bien guapo” (very handsome) saw her panicked state and told her that she could follow him out of the traffic mess. He got her out to the interstate at which point I received the call telling me she was lost. I talked her down and directed her to an exit which she uses each week to get to First Friday. As soon as she realized where she was she indicated she as fine and could get home via her usual drive home from there. First Friday – the gift that just keeps on giving.
Two Very Happy Panamanians
On the drive to the airport she extolled the physical beauty of her would be savior in an attempt to get a reaction out of me. I responded by asking her what she would have done if the roles were reversed and a beautiful young lady had offered me the same type of help (not that I would ever need help in that area). She admitted that her head would probably explode. The drive into Boston was otherwise uneventful and we arrived well ahead of the scheduled landing time but still had a two hour wait as Logan was up to their old tricks and there was no gate for my mother in law’s plane for nearly an hour. We made our traditional stop in Natick for a very late dinner just in time to see the Red Sox explode for some late runs to win a game they would have lost last year.
I discovered there was a Stephen King (The Master) book, Eyes of the Dragon, that I had somehow never read. I consider that an affront to Western Civilization and promptly corrected that failure on my part. The fact that it was also a fantasy milieu, one of my favorite genres, made my failure even more egregious. King’s characters are what make his books so unforgettable and requires more than willing investing by the reader. The heinous villain of my favorite book by the Master, The Stand, Randall Flagg, is back in this book in another of his incarnations of evil. He is simply Flagg, the court magician, in a mythical kingdom trying to undermine the rightful king and bring his signature chaos. Once again the good people must make their stand. Flagg will never learn.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latin friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment