Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Time Diving

My Good Morning Grandpa Photo from the BRS

I’ve written before about my penchant to try and piece together my genealogical history. Yesterday I finally succumbed to Ancestery.com’s relentless marketing campaign and will be trying out a six month membership. I’ve only spent a few minutes on line with it but I’ve already discovered the names of great grandparents on my mother’s side that I never knew about. I also tracked down my mother’s biological father who may have been quite a character. In three official documents that I am certain refer to him list with the following birthplaces: Quebec, Canada; Grosvenordale, Connecticut; and an undefined place in Massachusetts. I’m sure there’s a story there that will be kind of fun trying to track down. Interestingly Grosvenordale is only about 20 miles from where I’m writing this.
The Newest Garden I created on Sunday
On a much more current familial connection my Favorite Panamanian continues to revel in her day long adventures with the BRS. It’s easy to see they’re forming a bond – kind of hard to avoid when my wife is involved. Yesterday was the first day she had Riggins along to assist. She reports that he has taken a very protective disposition towards the BRS. Whenever she cries he immediately goes to her door and actually growled when he heard my wife coming up the stairs to tend to her until he was sure she was on the approved access roster.
Since Great Aunt requires health updates I can report to her that I had a mid-year checkup yesterday and the doctor was very happy with my blood pressure. It had started to creep up in last year’s physical but apparently getting back to swimming three days a week solved that issue. Great Aunt herself reports her second bionic knee has been a bit more of a painful process than the first one but she already exceeding her physical therapist’s range of motion goal – which sounds painful.
I finished off my latest foray into the Roman legions with the next in RW Peake’s excellent Marching with Caesar, Rebellion. The hero of the first seven books, Titus Pullo, dies peacefully in his bed at the end of the last book and this one picks up the story of his adopted son who serves as a centurion in the 8th Legion assigned to Pannonia. The story bounces back and forth between his actions and that of his family, notably his son, who Peake has decided to reincarnate Titus Pullo within. I was drawn to the series because of Peake’s fantastic depiction of close combat of the legions. He wanders away from that to an extent in this book with the young Pullo. I’m sure he setting the stage for the next series of books but I found myself struggling for the first time with this series whenever we had to follow the ten year old Pullo around.
Since my wife was out of town and Keene Friend was boarding for the night we decided to indulge in an old tradition of ours – Bad Cinema! We went to see Action Point which was every bit as delightfully bad as we hoped, just dreadful. I’m not a big fan of the Jackass group which is what this film was clearly aimed at and causes me to question the future of western civilization. Johnny Knoxville is actually a very likable screen presence but there is no socially redeemable quality to the puerile plot. I guess this is what happens when axe murderers are not hospitalized. This is for fans of truly bad cinema to revel in the rampant heinousness depicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment