Thursday, June 7, 2018

Reunification Operations

Best Buds
My three day sojourn of bachelorhood thankfully came to a screeching halt yesterday afternoon when I returned from work to find my Favorite Panamanian unloading the car from her trip home from New Hampshire. She looked exhausted. Raising a three month old is not for the faint of heart and definitely a young person’s game. I could tell, despite the fatigue, that she already missed hanging out with her granddaughter. I learned this during the twenty minute soliloquy in which she extolled the time she had spent with the BRS.

Abuela Getting her into Flowers Early

She had dozens of interactions with the BRS that she wanted to share with me, all of which pointed out what a stellar baby she was. My wife handed off child care duties to the BRS’ other grandma as these two are tag teaming the effort until the ABFA’s employer’s child care facility has an opening. A lot of fatigue factor involved the increasing size of the BRS. My wife has a crick in her arm from the extended time she held the baby over the past few days. I’m sure a lot fo that time was more than voluntary.
The Queen has Returned

But Misses this One


And Who Wouldn't
It was so good to get her back. I’ve learned old married couples (which we certainly qualify for) come to depend on each other in a myriad collection of areas, mostly unspoken or even recognized until separated from each other. After receiving the full accounting of her time with the BRS and a subsequent call to our other granddaughter, the FBR, we settled in to watch the Red Sox game together, the peas back together in their assigned pod. I continue my genealogical research yesterday finding some more interesting family “secrets”. I found I had a great-grandfather on my mother’s side that I never met who was still alive until the early 1960s, so we should have. Family on my mother’s side was always a little squirrelly, a polar opposite from my father’s family. There the tradition is much better documented (see pictures below of my father's ancestors). I even have pictures of my great-great grandfather/mother. He died fighting for the Union in the latter stages of the civil war while serving with a New Hampshire regiment in the deep south while she looks like a very scary woman.
Great-Great Grandfather

Scary Great-Great Grandmother

Great Grandfather

Great Grandmother with my Grandfather on Right


No comments:

Post a Comment