Friday, June 22, 2018

Kwan Disturbed

Laughing Girl

I feel a little like Rod Tidwell today in that my kwan is severely disturbed, at least on the employment front. I thought I was easing into a summer of complacency after a fairly challenging winter. I finally had my CFO and Maintenance Manager back from lengthy health related absences. I replaced my Safety Manager with an obvious upgrade and Keene Friend has been dominating as my new Operations manager while the guy he replaced has moved superbly into his new role as my Assistant General Manager. Everything was in place finally for the team to move forward. I envisioned a yearlong glide towards next year’s retirement. Then yesterday happened with my Political Boss announcing he was leaving for a job in Boston.
He’s the guy who selected me for this position and we’ve always had a very good working relationship. Although I was frustrated at times with his reluctance to make decisions I really enjoyed working with him and knew I had his complete trust. He grew tired of constantly confronting the politics of Worcester City Hall and is leaving for greener pastures. I’m going to miss him a lot but it also raises the question of who is going to replace him, both on an interim and permanent basis. This is not how I planned on summer going down. Time to pull out the old chicken soup out of chicken shit recipe.
Luckily I have two luminous granddaughters to keep perspectives in place. My Favorite Panamanian and the BRS continue their week long love fest up in New Hampshire. My wife can now induce a hearty laugh from the BRS who seems to revel in hanging out with her abuela. The FBR was concerned last night when I showed up for our video call with blood running down the side of my face. It was just a minor shaving cut that opened up after some yard work but the FBR seemed genuinely concerned. Speaking of yard work, getting old continues to suck as I was honestly exhausted after what used to be some minor chores. It was probably a kwan thing.
The Rhode Islanders Are Coming!!!!
Morale will get a severe boost this weekend. I retrieve my absent wife tonight and tomorrow a truly remarkable event will take place. Soxfather’s family in true Rhode Island fashion requires an act of congress to travel beyond state borders. We’re only 45 minutes away (if I’m driving) but to hear Soxfather’s sister explain you would think we live in Outer Siberia. At our last McShawn’s evening my wife was able to convince them to finally come up for a Deckzilla get together. I think the amount of alcohol consumed helped seal the deal. Both Keene Friend (or the Senator as he is known in Rhode Island) and the Cantankerous One will also be joining us which means some serious kwan rejuvenation is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment