Friday, February 26, 2016

What A Difference, Etc. Etc.

I know, as a native New Englander, that I shouldn’t marvel at the vagaries of our weather. Yesterday morning (late February), when I woke up to 60 degree temperatures after an ice storm the previous day, I was understandably conflicted. However I looked back to the situation from one year ago and I am in awe. Last year we were digging out from some of the last of the ten feet of snow we received. I’m showing photos below taken on the approximately the same date from the two years; one of the driveway from hell from last February and the other yesterday of the more heavenly minded replacement. Only in New England.
Last Year

This Year
We received some incredibly good news at work yesterday. The Board selected a new administrator to run the authority my company is contracted with. I’ve referred to this position in the past as the “political leadership”. I called them that because it’s been filled via political cronyism that is the bane of the People’s Republic of Taxxachusetts’ single party rule. The Board went a different way yesterday selecting a young man from the planning department who’s worked closely with us for the past ten years. He’ll bring youth, energy, and an in depth knowledge of the system which has been lacking form the position for as long as I’ve been here. It also doesn’t hurt that he’s a veteran attendee of First Friday celebrations. We are officially stoked for today’s festivities.
The New Guy
My granddaughter made me late for work today. I almost forgot to download samples of the daily photos my daughter blessedly sends me as a salve for the distance imposed between us (see below). I hurried back into the house to rectify that grievous error after starting the car to leave. It took five times the usual amount of time because she included a video of my granddaughter laughing for the first time. While she’s an accomplished smiler, this was the first time I’d seen the newly emerging laugh. I literally could not stop watching it over and over again. I was seriously considering jumping on a plane to California for the weekend. I wish I could share it with you because it was beyond heart melting but I couldn’t figure out how to download it (where’s a teenager when you need one!).
She's Also Fascinating for Some of Wingman's Friends
I finished the second book in C.J. Box’s Joe Pickett series, Savage Run, and am starting to see why my sister so ardently recommended it to me. Joe, a Wyoming game warden, once again thrusts himself into a highly politicized situation because he’s trying to do the right thing in the face of well-connected wrong doers. The book starts out when an eco-terrorist with ties to the local area is blown up along with his wife and an unfortunate cow, the first in a series of assassinations planned by a shadowy organization.

Box tells the story from both sides of the impending confrontation with an unlikely pair of assassins crisscrossing the country to do their dirty work. Joe, as usual, stumbles around in the dark for the most part until he kicks up the hornet nest that leads to an exciting race across some of Wyoming’s pristine mountains. Box does a fantastic job of bringing the reader into the landscape, a very good read. I’m still waiting for the appearance of a secondary character my sister vows will hook me on the series. Mr. Pickett is already on his way to doing that on his own.






No comments:

Post a Comment