Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Reality Sets in While Wonder Help Arrives

Vacation hangovers are tough to deal with. The better the vacation the deeper the after-effects. If you’ve had the courage and patience to read yesterday’s epically long post you’ll know this vacation is going to be a difficult one to recover from. Not having work to return to yesterday actually made the adjustment harder. I spent over four hours assembling pictures and writing yesterday for that long post (I typically take about 15 minutes to write one of these things). I felt the need to do the time we spent together justice. It will be one of the things I’ll look back on in a couple years and it’ll help rekindle the magic. When you add in the absolute need to recover my boon companion during these lonely winter months, Buddy the Wonder Pooch, which involved a trip down and back to Rhode Island, the day was already pretty much shot. Add in grocery shopping and washing the effects of the tropics and certain intestinal bugs out of my deployment garb and I had a fairly full day.
Welcome Home Partner
I finally stopped writing around mid-afternoon because I had to get down to Rhode Island and recover Buddy. I left the final hour and a half of Frail Deeds writing until I returned. It was so good to see my brother in law, it was the kind of family fix I needed after a full day away from family overload (no such thing) of the vacation. Buddy was only mildly apoplectic to see me. Apparently he and his young cousin Remy did not set any social interaction records. Remy escaped the house in an attempt to accompany us and had to be hand carried back into the house by my brother in law and I. Upon return home Buddy was very bored with me after the past ten days of constant stimulation from his younger protégé. He’ll have to re-adjust to a more sedentary life style again. It was so good to have him at my side at Couch Potato Position #1 last night.
Kind of Boring Around Here
My Favorite Panamanian is dealing with her separation anxiety in a different manner. She and a large contingent of PanaGals, led by the Legendary Laughing Cousin, called me from San Jose, Costa Rica last night. They’re on a long planned road trip through Panama’s western neighbor. The cousin’s husband, one of my favorite people, is a true saint as the only male along and serving as driver. I can only imagine the noise level in that vehicle during their travels.

I left Buddy behind to go to the movies even though it was snowing pretty heavy. I’ve got six movies playing in the nearby cinema I have to account for this week, so I’m on a pretty tight schedule. I don’t think I’ve laughed as much at a movie in years as I did at Deadpool. The filmmakers took some real chances and while that doesn’t always work – it certainly does here. This is firmly Ryan Reynolds’ movie and he nails the sardonic, witty, hero-challenged title role. The pointed and very funny lines are relentless and would seem silly if it wasn’t backed up with a solid plot and fantastic action sequences.
Go See this
Reynolds doesn’t just break the “Fourth Wall” he desecrates it which ends up being some of the funniest moments in this hilarious film. This won’t be a film for everybody as it more than earns its “R” rating on as many levels as you can imagine, but it’s smart and innovative. It was nice to see a superhero movie overcome the corporate need to tranquilize itself down to PG-13 levels. Hopefully Deadpool’s obvious success will lead to more adult oriented fare. I loved it, favorite movie of 2016 so far.


I’ll leave you with some more photos of my Favorite Granddaughter from Panama times:







No comments:

Post a Comment