Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Where’s Al Gore When I Need Him

I know Gore makes a pretty convincing argument about global warming in his fascinating documentary, An Inconvenient Truth.  I think if he came to Charlton he would rethink his whole theory because this place hasn’t got the word yet on this climate change thing.  I’ve been warmer in Alaska than I’ve been in Charlton over the last week. Yesterday we were hit with another 6-8 inches of snow and temperatures remained in the teens.
I Took a Picture of the Toy Store in Case My Wife Accused me of Not Going
I want to thank all of you for the messages of support for my courageous foray into an actual toy store during the Christmas season yesterday.    I accomplished the mission with only a modicum of danger.  In this case the snow helped and the crowds were minimal.  The long silent Cantankerous Friend couldn’t resist a jab though, making a snarky comment about a recently concluded football game between two schools neither of us attended.  Sometimes consistency is a good thing in life.
The Joys of Driving in a New England Winter
The snow arrived in mid-afternoon and by the time of my ride home was coming down seriously.  I thanked my wife profusely for allowing me use of the Highlander yesterday which is awesome at handling a snowy street; it even has a button labeled “snow” to push.  This didn’t help with the other drivers on the road with me and the commute home had its measure of excitement.  The interstates were down to 25mph when the traffic was moving. I passed a car with Georgia plates and the driver looked terrified at the unfamiliar environs.
I did get a little bit of revenge on my wife for sending me shopping when I saw Amazon reporting some packages had been left outside the house.  I called her to retrieve them before they were buried under the snow which meant she had to brave the elements for thirty seconds in the shorts she was wearing while baking cookies.  She reported this as a very big deal.
The House Looked Pretty Good From the Bottom of the Driveway
Home was a keto chamber of horrors as my wife was into her annual baking frenzy.  She learned Christmas cookies from my mother and seeing all these cookies laid out, knowing I couldn’t eat them until next week was tantamount to a human rights violation.  The worst part was the smell which made a seductive assault on my will power throughout the night.
What I Had To Resist Last Night - Scary
I couldn’t take it any more so I launched outside when the snow finally tapered off around 9pm.  There was a really bright moon to conduct snow blowing operations by and I had the entire thing policed up by 10pm.  Thankfully my wife had boxed up the cookies by the time I returned inside.  I would not have been responsible for my actions if the cookies were still in plain sight at that point. 
My Wife Tried to Capture Me in Action With My New Toy
Not that I needed it but yet another reason Christmas is going to rock, per usual.
Mission Complete
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment