Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Thwarted

My goal of never stepping into a store for Christmas shopping has fallen victim to Mother Nature.  Well, that and my wife’s complete refusal to drive during a snow storm, squall, shower (take your pick).  We’re supposed to get another six inches of snow today (the White Christmas thing is starting to look like a sure bet this year) and she graciously decreed that I should take the four wheel drive car to work today.
The Natives Are Restless
I should have read the fine print in the offer because that codicil included a tasking to hit the local Toys R’ Us today.  My wife always takes a couple cards off the Christmas tree at church to buy presents for some of the less fortunate kids in the parish.  Since she enjoys shopping and misses having young children to buy for (no grandkiddies yet!) it’s been an annual tradition that she enjoys.

She’s been unsuccessfully waiting for a warmer December day to do the shopping and today was the day she had pinpointed (despite the 5 degree temps!).  At least that was her story and she was sticking to it as I tried to argue my way out of the dreaded fate of Christmas shopping in an actual store (Amazon withdrawal).  She astutely pointed out that I somehow managed to break free from work each Tuesday long enough to buy whatever movie is being released that week which drove an effective nail into the coffin of my argument that I would be too busy at work.
My Preferred Shopping Venue
My only hope is to hit the store when the storm breaks and with a bit of luck they’ll be soul sisters of my wife who won’t brave the elements to shop.  Pray for me.
My Snow Bunny Smiling in Triumph

No comments:

Post a Comment