Sunday, December 29, 2013

Dancing to the End

Well Christmas week certainly did not end with a whimper.  I was in my usual funk on the day I would have to relinquish the company of the last child present with my daughter and son in law’s impending departure.  Fortunately we had one more event on our dance card (unfortunate use of that term – see below) – a post holiday party at the New Hampshire home of the MEF’s parents.
Emergency Nail Polish Surgery Delayed Departure
We would meet the son and MEF there as well so it was a last chance to have the whole family together one more time during the holiday season.  My daughter, in what is a lifelong tradition (compulsion), took the opportunity to mess with her brother.  She texted him that she was already back in NYC when we were five minutes out from the party.  The look on his face when all four of us exited the vehicle derived the sought after look of a brother once again victim to an elder sister’s prank; to the delight of both of them.
Together One Last Time
The party was low key but a lot of fun as we got to meet some more of the MEF’s extended family.  There does not appear to be an end to the excellence – apparently bred bone deep in her family.  Even their cats (well one of them at least) are cool.  Her mother had a scrap book from her father’s World War 2 service in Panama.  It was fascinating to see so many familiar sites staring back from 70 year old photos.  It was a truly enjoyable afternoon that predictably came to an unfortunately early end.  It was so tough to say goodbye but we had a long drive ahead of us.
The Photo Album Review
After the hour and a half drive up to New Hampshire we had to drive three hours down to New Haven, Connecticut to drop off the departing NYC contingent.  Since I had my good luck charms with me this time (wife and daughter) Connecticut was powerless to be a problem and the drive went by flawlessly.  This in itself is a problem because it reduced the amount of time with my daughter and son in law.

As usual the departure at the train station was too quick and hurried as we blocked traffic while they unloaded their gear, swollen from Christmas present excesses.  Just like that – they were gone and the world seemed a little dimmer.  Well at least I had another hour and a half drive home through Connecticut to cheer me up (that’s known as irony folks).
The Hurried Departure - Not Even time for a Needed hug
After six hours of driving I felt a little spent and was looking forward to some serious couch time to wallow in the depressing lack of children in the house.  My wife was having none of that and had arranged a rendezvous with another Panamanian Mafia couple for dancing.  Their mutual hairdresser (the fabulous Luigi of course) was hosting a Christmas party at the center of middle aged Worcester dancing - Maxwell Silverman’s.

Bitching and moaning like a six year old I allowed my wife to cajole me into going.  It helped that she donned her New Year’s Eve dress and looked like a movie star.  We stayed for one free drink at the party and then went downstairs to the dancing where my energizer bunny of a wife soon took up station on the dance floor to twirl her new dress. 
My Inducement to Dance
Maxwell’s is always a great place to people watch and last night was no exception.  We had a seriously short skirt on the dance floor that our friend’s husband and I could not decide the woman was trying to pull down or ease upwards.  Her dance partner’s eyes were glued to the hemline so whatever she was doing had the desired effect.  I won’t even mention (except for the Keene Friend) the simply enormous tracts of land in evidence. 
A Rare Photo of My Wife Away from Dance Floor With the Other Panamanian Mafia Couple
Before either of us realized it we were into Sunday morning and my wife was successfully pried away from the dance floor long enough to drive us home (I might have had a Coors light or three).  This turned out to be exactly what I needed to not focus on the empty house but it was exhausting.  I texted my daughter that I couldn’t believe her mother had me out dancing after midnight after the long day on the road.  She replied, “Wow!!!”.  Eloquent

No comments:

Post a Comment