Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas

Once again I’m sitting here in a very quiet house on Christmas morning waiting for the cacophony to commence.  Since all the younguns reached the teenage years a while back there isn’t the mad rush downstairs once the first one achieves consciousness.  While I kinda miss that fevered response to discover what’s under the Christmas tree I also enjoy this quiet time to reflect on Christmases past.
Everyone Always Ends up in the Kitchen
So much of the memories of my childhood are tied to those moments when I was the one rushing downstairs.  This was before parental divorces, military careers, and the complicated life that sneaks up and devours the years.  Christmas is about family and enjoying the miracle of a life shared with those most important to you. I hope everyone reading this has the opportunity today to be around your family and enjoy the miracle of life.  Take a step back and appreciate the gift of the people around you, not just what’s under the tree.
A Little Late but It's Not Christmas Without These Two
I’m not going to write long today because I can hear some of the mice stirring upstairs and I’m not going to lose any time with my special people while tied to this computer.

Merry Christmas to All
Christmas Eve was everything I could have hoped for.  My wife prepared an immense dinner which we tried to hold off until my sister could arrive but she was stricken again by her well chronicled inability to be timely.  The MEF’s parents did come up and we spent a great time around the kitchen table (isn’t that where you always end up) sharing some holiday spirit.
My sister eventually showed up and the frivolity level achieved an even loftier position.  Her family immediately launched into the camaraderie and their dog Bailey had Buddy running immense circles in the darkened backyard.  In a minor Christmas miracle when I went out to help my brother in law unload their car it began to snow!  It was just a light dusting but it qualifies as a white Christmas.  I don’t think there’s any more appropriate time for snow than on Christmas Eve!
My Sister in Law Last Night in Panama
I think everyone was a little tired from their own rushed insanity towards today but it was so much fun just sitting around enjoying these special people.  My wife returned from midnight mass to a phone call from Panama where her family was in full party mode. We ended the night as we have for the past few years by sitting down to watch Love Actually as a family; because Christmas really is all about love, actually.  I fervently hope everyone reading this, no matter what your beliefs, has the very merriest of Christmases.

I’d like to end by thanking those serving in far off lands guaranteeing our freedom against the wolves howling in the woodline.  While the national media seems to have forgotten that we still have brave young men and women out there at the very sharpest point of the spear, we, as a people, have not.  Thank you for your service and may God bless you and protect you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment