Sunday, October 23, 2011

Wedded Brrrr

I went to a wedding last night in a nearby town, the bride a former co-worker of my wife.  I went under mini-protest because this was the weekend of an annual festival in my home town that I look forward to all year.  Needless to say I lost that argument.  I had a good time at the wedding but I spent part of the time thinking back to the time I was missing.  I was a huge hero with my wife by recommending she wear her warmest coat.  This was because the wedding ceremony was outside and the reception in a tent right next to it.  Note to all future brides – late October in central Massachusetts is too late in the season for an outdoor wedding.  The entire wedding party, with the sleeveless gowns had pronounced goose bumps.  While the tent had two underperforming space heaters, our table was right by the entrance with a huge opening allowing a steady breeze.   My wife had initially decided to wear a short, stylish jacket and I told her she should go warmer.  As we sat at the reception and the temperature fell into the thirties she kept thanking me over and over again.  My wife, a native of Panama, does not handle cold, or even cool well.  Something I’ve noticed over the last few years at weddings is the interminable wait while the photographer takes the official wedding photos.  Granted, there is usually a cocktail hour while everyone else waits, something I am personally a big fan of; however I think it’s gotten a little out of hand.  I know most photographers are very creative types and they have most wedding parties at their mercy for that time period.  Last night it was really noticeable as everyone shivered waiting for them to finish up.  When we went up for the first dance I almost fell on my face during my first move, such as it was.  I did not realize that my feet had almost frozen being in the breeze from the open door.  My wife assumed I had spent too much time at the bar but I went on to redeem myself as the feet warmed up.  I also noticed how disjointed a reception can be with a bad DJ and the one last night was egregious.  Despite all of this we had a good time which I attribute to my date – she has the ability to elevate what would be less than ideal circumstances – I get the assist with the warm coat recommendation.  We ended the evening with the wife driving home, I did spend some time at the bar, which is always an adventure (her driving, not my time at the bar, well sometimes…).

No comments:

Post a Comment