Friday, October 14, 2011

The Road Not Taken

My Wife at the Waterfalls
 
The Flower Bridge
Yesterday was my sightseeing trip to the Berkshire Mountains with my bride.  I took the day off from work and we had a fantastic day although the weather was a little dreary.  The best part about the day was the complete lack of schedule or itinerary.  We wandered through the yellowing woods.  The scenery was beautiful wherever we turned so I made the effort to follow back roads instead of the major highways that would have delivered us more quickly.  We saw so much more using the back roads and were able to talk since traffic was not an issue.  We stopped in a small village at a diner for lunch and the village had some impressive waterfalls and an old bridge that had been converted into a flower garden.  We saw the massive damage caused by the Hurricane Irene flooding.  It warmed my heart to see my fellow industrious Yankees hard at work repairing the damage. These are things we would have missed if we had stayed on the major roads.  We ended up in southern Vermont and stopped by a mountaintop where we had spread my mother’s ashes a few years ago.  We were so close to my home town by the end of the day that we dropped in and surprised an old friend for dinner.  It was a magical day, taking those less traveled roads did make all the difference.
My Wife on the Flower Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment