Monday, October 31, 2011

Cabin Weekend

Back at work today after a weekend that induced a bit of cabin fever due to the weather (see earlier post).  After running some errands Friday night I didn’t leave the property for the entire weekend.  This is the source of a little friction because my wife is retired (at my insistence) and she’s ready to get out on the weekends while I am more of a home body looking to recharge the batteries after a long week at work.  We usually do get out for several trips during a normal weekend – that was not the case for this past weekend due to the storm.  I found that I missed that, a lot.  I’ve written before that our house is too big for just the two of us and it was evident this weekend.  I’ve constantly moved throughout my adult life due to the military career.  I’ve lived in this house for six years now which is the longest I’ve lived in one place other than the house I grew up in.  I’ve kept waiting for a sense of “home” to settle in but that still hasn’t happened and now I wonder if it ever will.  I think most of that is due to the relative isolation of living in the country in a place we came to late in life.  While we have great neighbors, they are really the only people in town that we really know.  I think that is why I feel drawn back to the place I grew up – still looking for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment