Monday, October 24, 2011

Decisions, Decisions

I’ve written before about considering other jobs.  Another opportunity has arisen that I am looking at.  It’s actually going back to a place I worked at directly after leaving the Army.  I have really fond memories of the place and I loved working for the guy that hired me.  I left because the overall administrator didn’t like my boss.  He did like me and I felt if I had stayed that I would be a threat to my boss – again, a guy I really like and respect.  My departure had the exact effect I had hoped for, the administrator realized what a treasure he had in my old boss and they now get along well.  I still get together with my old boss occasionally for a couple of Friday night beers.  Last week, over the latest installment of those beers, he said my old job was open again and would I consider coming back.  I told him that he couldn’t afford me, due to the hefty pay raise I got when I took my current job.  Shared with him what I was currently making and he agreed, so we continued enjoying our Friday night.  Last Monday he called me at the office and said, “What if we could afford you?”  Apparently the administrator heard I might come back and said he would kick in the extra money to get me back, paying me what I am making at my current job.  I was very flattered and talked this over with my wife who knows me better than anyone and knows I missed working with my old boss.  She also was excited that I would no longer have to spend two hours every day commuting as the old place is much closer to home.  This would be step back career wise but as I think about it, do I really care?  I worked hard and was very competitive in my first career, rising near the top in that profession.   Following retirement I embarked on my career pledging to spend time on a family and wife that the military didn’t always allow me to.  As I prospered in the new job and basically doubled what I was initially making I started getting that competitive urge again – especially when I saw the competition.  The question again arises – do I care?  At this point in my life I think I would be happier in the old job working with a boss I like and admire, in a job I can do in my sleep.  If I was twenty years younger I probably wouldn’t give the old job a second thought but, as I am reminded on a constant basis, I’m not that young anymore.  Can I really put on price on the enjoying whom I work with everyday and extra time at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment