Monday, January 30, 2023

Pelican Watch

Great Aunt and I have been abandoned by my Favorite Panamanian! Of course, we’re getting the better part of the deal since we get to stay at the beach while my wife drove back to David to run errands for her mother for the next couple days. I’m suer shopping will sneak in somewhere along the line. My big sister and I are enjoying the panorama that is Playa Las Lajas. She is particularly taken with the abundant pelicans. They cruise the top of the breaking waves in the morning and spend the afternoons gliding in huge formations on the thermals above the beach.

Pelicans Cruising Great Aunt


Great Aunt is committed to getting in better shape and we’ve increased the length of our daily beach walks each day since she’s been here. Yesterday the pelicans chose to recognize her effort and came out in formation to greet her. She’s a nature lover and was entranced. The condo building was relatively full over the weekend, with four other families in residence, but she still marvels at how uncrowded this place is. She confirmed my impression that if this beach was in the USA it would be overrun with development. We have the entire condo complex to ourself today. She’s down on the beach as I write this, which she has completely to herself. I’m guessing immersion in her “happy place” (the pool) is imminent.

Great Aunt Contemplating the Pacific

Sunset Last Night

We watched the NFL conference championship games together yesterday, sandwiched around the daily sunset viewing ceremony. Both teams we wanted to win  lost but so it goes during the Patriots downturn. This chemo-site on the back of my shoulder is growing increasingly troublesome each day but my resident nurse, Great Aunt, approved of the work it is doing on the biopsy site (still, itches like crazy when it isn’t painful). I’ve taken it upon myself to continue Great Aunt’s immersion therapy in the Marvel Universe. I’ve only got some of the movies here but she’s now seen Infinity War and Endgame which raises more interest in the movies that preceded it. I have taken it as my sacred duty to bring her up to speed. Right now, I’m due out there for our beach walk.

Beach This Morning

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment