Thursday, January 12, 2023

Electrical Thoughts

Yesterday was supposed to be a gentle glide into what I like to think of as my optimal retired life day. All the errands had been run, the beer was cold, the surf was up, we had two refrigerators (more on that later), and there was even a new, bright red string bikini cavorting in the pool. All was right with the world. That was when the single most frustrating aspect to life in Panama asserted itself. The electricity failed. I didn’t realize until the Army sent me to some of the more “interesting” places in the world how much we Americans take reliable electricity for granted. That was the reason yesterday’s blog, written in the morning, wasn’t posted until last night, when the power came back on.

My Walking Partner This Morning
While it can be frustrating, we’ve come up with a bunch of work arounds. We’re definitely luckier than most of our neighbors in that the condo complex has a generator which powers the elevator and common areas. One of the work arounds is running an extension cord from the fridge to a common area so we don’t lose all our freshly acquired food. The gas and the water still flow, so not a terrible situation. There is that most critically important powered function – air conditioning – but we have this world class beach on our doorstep, so, no problem.

Dueling Fridges
Our new refrigerator showed up yesterday. I had to laugh because the delivery driver looked a little shellshocked when he finally arrived, never having driven our access road before. It’s an acquired taste. He was amazed to find so much at the end of that road. The salesman said we should let the fridge sit, unpowered, for 12 hours before plugging it in, to allow everything internal to settle. The delivery guy said to make it 24 hours after experiencing our road. So, we now have two fridges facing off in the kitchen. Only one powered up.

The Stare Down
We had our redoubtable handyman in yesterday to install the balcony sun shades and the indoor blackout curtains (needed for those of us who want to sleep beyond dawn). The tropical sun asserts itself very early and in force. The other big news, which I’m sure is widely circulating with the locals – I am no longer the only gringo in residence. The nice Arizona couple we showed around the condo last year bought the one directly above us and showed up yesterday to set up. As fate would have it, when they were here last year, we were also undergoing a power outage and they remembered the need for an extra long extension cord.

Sunset Last Night


I think we’re going to be good friends. We introduced our handyman to them and they have already scheduled him for a couple repairs needed since their place was unoccupied for a very long time. We spent the evening together down on the beach where I showed him the waves and he’s already committed to buying a boogie board. Another convert!! We sat around drinking beer, watching the sunset, while I tried not to get caught glancing at the red bikini by my Favorite Panamanian. Just as the sun was setting, the power came back on and I was able to watch the news during dinner.  I know it sounds weird (one of my fortes) but there is something very tiring about being without power for an extended time. I could not stay awake for the movie last night, which, since it featured Scarlett Johansson, is saying something. Oh, and the power went out again around four this morning and is still off, Panama, but the beach is still there and the power cord deployed.

Heading Out for Our Walk This Morning
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment