Thursday, January 19, 2023

Tropical Shedding

Life has been moderately hectic since our arrival in paradise, what with my Favorite Panamanian running afoul of Panamanian traffic laws. Yesterday was our first of what passes for a semi-normal day here in a while. In taking stock of my situation both my wife and I agreed that my hair was as long as she’d seen it in a long while. It was evident because it was starting to get curly. My last haircut was prior to Christmas, so a very long time ago, for me. My curly hair was beloved of second grade teachers but I treated it pretty much as the bane of my existence as a teenager in the long, straight-haired culture of the late 60’s and 70’s.

Before

After
The Army quickly cured that problem for me semi-permanently as I learned short hair doesn’t get the chance to curl, at least in my case. People I’ve met since my Army days are surprised to learn I have very curly hair. Once I got out, I thought it was my big chance to finally grow my hair long. I’d forgotten about the curls. I felt more comfortable with the short haircut anyways. It feels weird to have hair touching my ears (it’s an Army thing). The pandemic initiated a new go-to barber – my Favorite Panamanian. The military haircut isn’t that difficult as it doesn’t require a deft touch. I figured she was a safe bet because she has a vested interest in making sure I don’t look hideous (or any more than my usual percentage thereof).

Last Night's Sunset




All this is leading up my first Panamanian haircut of the year which took place with a minimum of fanfare last night. We are sporting a brand-new barber kit that I received as a Christmas gift. She was a little like a kid in a candy shop with her advance in haircutting technology. It even had an eye brow trimming attachment! Who knew they even made that? Our one day veer back to routine will end today with the arrival of a group of friends from one of the PanaGal families. What can I tell you, life is tough in the tropics.

Beach This Morning
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment