Saturday, January 7, 2023

Coconut Drop and Mantas

I’ve added a new talent to my ever-expanding resume. These are important additions now that I am perpetually unemployed. In the way of introduction, my Favorite Panamanian always establishes a close relationship with the caretaker dudes for our condo complex. She remembers them at Christmas and always brings snacks back for them when we make our forays back to what qualifies for civilization. A result of these kindnesses is they will do virtually anything she asks of them. Our property is blessed with a lot of palm trees with ample coconuts. My Favorite Panamanian loves fresh coconut water and you can do the math. My new talent? Coconut catcher.

The Drop

The Tapping
The caretaker climbed the palm tree and detached the coconuts and I was charged with catching them they dropped. It’s actually easier than it sounds and well within my talent range (I hasten to add). By the time we were finished the tree was nearly denuded. My wife and the caretaker were extolling the virtues of coconut water and trying (unsuccessfully) to get me to try it. The caretaker started tapping the downed coconuts and my wife soon had a gallon worth of the stuff and a bunch of leftover coconuts which now adorn our condo’s front door.

Outside our Front Door

The Call Last Night
We had a very fun First Friday Family Facetime call last night. The overriding subject was Panama since everybody on the call will be visiting us here within the next month. Score!!! The BRS had a stomach bug and when she reported this to her parents the first thing she asked was “This won’t keep us from going to Panama will it?”.  I love that kid.  As you can see from the photo, the FBR was up to her usual profiling behavior, she can ooze attitude when she wants.

Beach This Morning

With My Favorite Walking Partner

She is So Cute!
For those of you who were worried about my boogie boarding career and the sub-standard waves we experienced last year, not to worry. The Las Lajas surf has returned to its natural height and strength. I’ve already been flipped twice. I had a mild sphincter shrinking experience earlier this week as one of the waves loomed over me prior to breaking. A fairly small manta ray was soaring through the wave directly in front of me. I had no desire to make its intimate acquaintance, especially since I had the misfortune of watching a Discovery program which said rays were a staple diet for sharks. I’ve never seen a shark here and I’m not seeking that in any way, shape or manner. I come from the Jaws generation. I declared victory and headed for shore after the ray and I passed each other.

Sunset Last Night



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment