Friday, January 27, 2023

Sistah in the House

In an actual sense as well as Great Aunt arrived yesterday, taking her first vacation in years. There is no one on this green earth (at least here in Panama where it remains that color) who can deny that she wasn’t in need of a vacation after the past year. She and Soxfather were planning a trip here together last year when he was felled. We drove back to David yesterday to prepare for her arrival. Cantankerous Friend joked with me on Facebook about why I hadn’t partaken in the shopping with my Favorite Panamanian which I chronicled in my last post. He knows the answer all too well as I despise shopping on a very basic level.

Arrival in David
He would therefore have been laughing yesterday as I spent the whole day trailing behind my wife as we bought all the “needed” items for the condo to insure my sister’s enjoyment. I kept reminding her that we had to leave space in the car for Great Aunt’s luggage which she blithely assured me that she would make sure everything fit. Meanwhile Great Aunt had smartly spent Wednesday night in a Boston airport hotel; which facilitated the early morning flight call on a snowy day. We arrived in David to find a text from her saying she was on the plane awaiting takeoff.

Dinner at Terra with my Wife's Family
I sent her a detailed list of the different steps she would have to take to get on the plane and then make her way in Panama City to the domestic flight to David. Meanwhile I was in the seventh pit of hell shopping all day. Comically we ran into our new upstairs neighbors in one of the first stores we hit. My wife’s counterpart had accompanied her on the Monday shopping trip and had successfully dragged her husband back to David to further explore all the avenues my Favorite Panamanian had opened up for her. I shared a look of commiseration with my counterpart.

Beach This Morning
In the late afternoon we made our way to the airport to await Great Aunt’s arrival. She had a bit of adventure in Panama City where a long line at the immigration and customs counters caused her to almost miss the domestic flight. . It was so cool seeing my big sister walk through the door dragging her luggage. She was very excited to finally have a stamp in her passport. The domestic flight ended up doing a touch and go at David with the pilot claiming there were high winds that caused the need to lift off and circle one more time. Both my wife and I looked outside where there was virtually no wind blowing at all. It wouldn’t be a trip to Panama without some adventure inserted

Great Aunt with her Morning Coffee
My Favorite Panamanian volunteered to sit in the back seat, shoehorned in amongst our many purchases for the day. That meant Great Aunt was exposed up close and personal to the “delight” of driving in Panama, not for the weak of spirit. I tried to take it easy on her. My Favorite Panamanian’s family met us at Terra Ristorante which we identified as one of the two restaurants in David that offer a gluten free menu that my sis needs. The other one was a sushi place so my selection was fairly immediate. My wife’s family wanted to welcome my sister to Panama and we had a fabulous dinner. We’d never been to Terra before but it had the best pizza I’ve ever had in Panama. We’ll be back.

Beach Walk this Morning
A quick drive through the center of David to show my sister the church where we got married and we ran into a festival in the central square. We stopped in a yet another supermarket on our way back to Las Lajas to secure more gluten appropriate foodstuffs. All this meant a fairly late arrival in Las Lajas. After we unloaded everything and showed her around the condo. I then took her out to the dark beach where she could see the panoply of stars without the usual light pollution of Rhode Island living. She was properly amazed this morning when she walked out of her room to see the day time view. She’s currently in what she calls her “happy place”, the pool.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment