Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Afoul of the Law, Then an Upside

It’s been an interesting week since I last wrote on Frail Deeds. It’s mostly been consumed with our continued idyllic retired life on the best beach in the known world. There was an event this past Sunday that certainly livened that luxurious somnambulant lifestyle to a certain extent. I was engaged in my nearly favorite activity of reading on the beach while admiring the nearby display of the female form. I briefly thought my Favorite Panamanian had finally achieved her marriage-long goal of being able to read my mind from distance when my phone rang and it was her.

With Our Great Friends Last Night
She had gone into the village to attend mass. Her first words were kind of chilling. She reported she had a huge problem, not the best way to start a conversation. Appropriately perked up I learned that she had forgotten her driver’s license at the condo. Usually that’s no problem but on weekends the policia set up a security checkpoint on the access road to the beach. She was pulled over and hoped I could find the license and then drive it to her. Problem # 1, she had our car. I went upstairs to our new gringo neighbors who graciously allowed me to use their car to reach my Favorite Panamanian.

Mornings on the Beach
I arrived at the scene and delivered the license and passport. The rules are, you can drive on your US passport for 90 days after you arrive in Panama. After that time, you are expected to get a Panamanian drivers’ license. She was still issued a ticket for failing to carry her license with her. There was a bigger problem in that when we entered Panama, they didn’t stamp her passport, so she couldn’t prove how long she’d been in country. This led to a determination to get our Panamanian licenses.

My Wife, The Crime Wave

Growing up, I Thought Sand Dollars were rare and Exotic
I See at Least Two on Every Morning Walk
As an aside, I told her that I could forbid her from attending church because this was the second Sunday in a row where she reported a major problem while at mass. Last week she nearly destroyed the only key we have for the car, which required last week’s trip back to David. I’d avoided the license requirement because one of the requirements was attending driving school for three weeks. Talking with our new neighbors, they reported you had to have a certificate from the school but not necessarily attend. It’s a Panamanian kind of thing. We got the name of their school and on Monday returned to David to hunt it down.

Sunday Sunset




There is also a requirement for a documented blood test showing what blood type you have. We found the school and in short order had copies of all the potential test questions we will face. They took our picture and said it would take about three weeks for the certificate to be ready, allowing time for the fiction of our attendance at the actual school to be validated. The school also offered to prepare the requisite blood type form. When I asked where the blood would be extracted, the nice young lady asked me if I knew what my blood type was. As with any infantryman, I knew that. She said that was all that was needed and would prepare the form. Panama. We have the study the 130 questions, of which ten will be chosen for the driver’s test which will be followed by an actual driving test. That should happen in mid-February.

Visiting an Old Friend
Since that went a lot faster than anticipated, we had some time on our hands in David. That meant crisscrossing the city on a couple of errands. For those of you who have never driven in David on a busy weekday, your life is not complete. It’s a little like boogie boarding when a really big wave engulfs you and shakes you around. A lot of praying is involved. We found the place my Favorite Panamanian had to pay her fine and then headed to El Fogon for lunch. My favorite waiter greeted me like a returning hero and started asking when my kids and their families are inbound (tips increase the friendship quotient geometrically).

With my Wife
We took my wife’s twin sister with us to the movies Monday night. It was a lot busier than I remembered from last year, but the theater was still better than our usual one back home and much cheaper. We saw, Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre, featuring my wife’s cinematic boyfriend, Jason Statham. See review below. I was modestly impressed with myself as we watched the movie dubbed in Spanish instead of our usual English with subtitles. My three weeks’ immersion with speaking mostly Spanish seems to have knocked the rust off.

Two Great People
We also made arrangements to visit the husband of the Cousin with the Legendary Laugh on Tuesday. He used to be an integral part of our annual trips to Panama driving his bus all over Panama filled with family and laughter. Needless to say, it’s been a tough year for him with the loss of his wife and his own physical challenges. He’s lost most of his sight and now lives with his daughter. He perked up a lot when we arrived and we had a great time reliving some of our old adventures and remembering the Cousin with the Legendary Laugh. That’s one of the tough parts of getting old, more and more beloved people drop by the wayside along the way. Being young was so much easier, in so, many, ways.

Dinner is Served!!!
We hung around David for the rest of the day since it would be our only opportunity to hang out with some good friends from the DC Chapter of the Panamanian Mafia. They’d been in country for the better part of a month and were returning stateside late this week. They arrived in David late Tuesday and we arranged to meet at a new, for us, restaurant, called Angus. The last couple of years they had visited us at the condo where I’d made the husband a true convert to the Las Lajas boogie boarding. The best things about old friends is the ability to pick up the bond and the shorthand communication assorted with it immediately. We had to negotiate a truly ferocious rainfall which meant we ate inside instead of the planned patio dining. We spent a fabulous couple hours catching up with each other, again, as if no time at all had passed. As the name of the restaurant implied, steak was a prime dish served. We chose to have a central platter with three different kinds of steak served. It was predictably awesome as we devoured the dead animal flesh, okay, that was mostly me.

Truly Great Night
The most entertaining part of the evening was the combination of my Favorite Panamanian and sangria. They have an interesting relationship with some of the funniest stories I have about my better half originating there. Since we were driving back to Las Lajas after the dinner I was the designated driver and my wife got caught up with the fun of being around great friends and sangria. By the time we approached departure time she was in truly epic form. For some reason she kept asking me if I had brought Alka Seltzer with me. The funniest part was the short stop at the supermarket on our way back, truly entertaining. She’s a lot of silly fun on the rare occasions she imbibes.

Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre was a Jason Statham vehicle with a very interesting cast in a Guy Ritchie movie. Statham plays his usual superspy but he’s ably assisted by Aubrey Plaza who steals every scene she’s in. They are trying to retrieve the customary world threatening computer device from a dastardly arms dealer, played with smarmy relish by Hugh Grant. Ritchie and Grant make a great team. A self-important Hollywood movie star (is there any other kind?) portrayed by a funny Josh Hartnett is dragooned into the recovery effort. The action is well staged and the plot moves in typical Ritchie swoops. I really enjoyed it, a good movie.

FBR Appointed Herself in Charge of Silly Faces

And Ice Cream Sandwiches

Seeing her Soon!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment