Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Falling Coconuts

I have been put on severe, hypothetical suspension from Great Aunt and other nefarious elements of the Soxfather family. I want to emphasize the “hypothetical” part of that last sentence because there is absolutely no authority capable of enforcing said suspension. My offense, taking photos of Great Aunt on the beach. I wasn’t unaware of the unwritten edict that I shouldn’t take pictures of her in her bathing suit. That, of course, severely reduces my ability to capture events surrounding her current visit because, well, we spend all day in bathing suits. So, not to fret. I’m used to having Soxfather’s sister cast aspersions on my well recognized excellence in the art of photography. I can withstand this calumny with my usual stoic reserve. I know Soxfather’s brother remains a steadfast fan of my obvious and internationally revered ability to capture life in all its intricacies through the simple tool of my iPhone camera. 😊

Great Aunt and I Sunsetting
I am not casting shade on my elder sister either. She is an incredibly brave woman, having eaten my cooking over the past couple days during my Favorite Panamanian’s absence. She has acquired, however, the heretofore missing but heartily predicted respect for the Panamanian sun. After an initial day of no reaction to the tropical sun she learned the lesson of needing serious sunblock application. She also claims to be the most relaxed that she’s been in over a year so Las Lajas is working its usual magic. She spends a lot of time each day in the condo pool, which she describes as her “happy place”. Yesterday, while in the happy place, she had the additional benefit of watching some contractors come in to harvest the beachside coconuts which she found fascinating.

Great Aunt Watching Harvest from Pool
There's a Guy in Tree Next to Fire Pit

Beach This Morning
We were joined for the sunset ceremony by our upstairs neighbors who have a couple from their stateside family visiting as well. It was a nice group and we wished the sun into the Pacific together while some adult beverages were sacrificed to the effort. The neighbors were extolling my Favorite Panamanian to their visitors. My wife is nothing if not the most social person I’ve ever met. Great Aunt commented as we walked back to the condo that we had both married more popular spouses. I agreed (the evidence is overwhelming) but said these popular souses had in turn chosen us as well, so there. As we got to the elevator, I told her I was going to walk out to the road to se if that popular Panamanian was in sight, driving back from David. I was greeted by a pair of jouncing headlights, announcing her return. It’s weird that, as we’ve gotten older, these small separations have become harder to endure.





Last Night's Sunset Get Together


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment