Thursday, November 4, 2021

Shot Heard ‘Round, well, the House at Least

Yesterday marked yet another step out of the pandemic darkness we’ve found ourselves submerged in over the last nearly two years. On Tuesday night the children’s vaccine was approved and predictably the FBR’s parents were completely on top of it and she had an appointment the following day. The FBR professed some trepidation, based on a recent Walgreen’s flu shot experience, but enjoyed hearing about all the benefits such a development would bring – friends inside the house again! We were drafted to accompany Wingman and the FBR to the appointment to provide the crucial grandparent support element.

The Hero

Appointment Time
The shots were delivered in an old Sears store and I have to give the New Jersey authorities credit – it was a lot better organized than my experience back home. They had a huge TV screen playing cartoons in the post shot waiting area and although there were some lines, we never waited longer than ten minutes. As we were waiting in the last line, we heard a lot of crying emanating from where earlier vaccines were being delivered to other children. When we made it into the booth the FBR wanted to sit in her abuela’s lap and I told her to look into my eyes during the shot. Her abuela then gave her an iPhone and the FBR never glanced up again, even when the needle went in and the vaccine was injected. The attendant said she was the first customer that day that hadn’t cried. Wingman says she’s never cried at any of her shots over the years. She proudly proclaimed, “I didn’t even have to look at you Grandpa!”

Post Shot Cartoon Watching

Cinnabon!!!!
Courage such as this had to be properly recognized and since the vaccination site was attached to a mall, we went in search of the food court. Soon the FBR and my Favorite Panamanian were devouring a full size serving of Cinnabon. I was surprised to see the entire order go downrange as quickly as it did. The FBR, in good spirits, extorted a couple more dollars out of her grandfather as we left the mall when we passed by the strategically placed kiddie rides. We triumphantly returned home to be greeted by my daughter who proudly hugged the star of the day. We then engaged in a dance game invented by my wife. Unfortunately, the mat was kind of small and I couldn’t participate, because every time I did, I ended up shoulder checking my opponent off the mat, mostly unintentionally.

The Dance Game

We Also Helped FBR Clean her Room
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment