Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Renovation Evening

My Favorite Panamanian and I were treated to a semi-return to almost post-pandemic normalcy last evening with a fun night out with Great Aunt and Soxfather. We were celebrating both Great Aunt’s and my birthdays and chose a restaurant we haven’t been to in years. You can, of course, say that about a lot of restaurants given the ravages of 2020. Chuck’s Steak House was a favorite spot when we lived in Charlton and I chose it because it was less of a drive for the Rhode Islanders and I had a 2019 gift certificate for the place. We weren’t sure it was still valid but decided to give it a shot. There were some concessions to the pandemic as the main seating area was closed off and we had to take a table in the bar area. I know you’re aghast that I would think this is a negative but they were having a trivia contest (very easy) whose announcer felt it was his sworn duty to drown out any possibility of conversation when he was speaking.

Last Night at Chuck's
I say renovation in the title because that was how the night felt as we returned to what used to be a normal night out with great friends. We spent over two hours just talking and laughing. I don’t think its’s possible to put a premium on that type of experience. The hours flew by and I reveled in just hanging out with these three special people. There’s a shorthand in communication for this small group as we’ve been family for forty years now. That amounts to a significant amount of water under the bridge but there was nothing common place about last night. It was special and a perfect way to celebrate our birthdays.

Last Time in a Work Tie
Earlier in the day I put on a coat and tie for a business meeting which should be the very last time I ever have to do that. With my looming retirement there isn’t anything on the horizon before that date that will require business attire. My Favorite Panamanian was less than impressed as I wallowed in this nostalgic event. She pointed out that if this was the last time I should have chosen a better tie. My wife, the fashion guru.

I’m just back from another episode with what I call, delving with the dermatologist. Two of the three biopsy sites they tested a month ago came back as cancerous. Instead of another round of Mohs surgery they planned to take care of these using something called an ED&C procedure. They had me at the moment they said it was less invasive than Mohs. I am now a huge fan of it as other than the injection of the numbing medication this was a breeze. Since the sites were on the back of my arm and my back, I couldn’t see what they were doing. There was a little bit of scraping and then the smell of burning flesh as they cauterized but I felt nothing and was through with it in less than five minutes. Huge ED&C fan now although I hope there won’t be too much back slapping at the upcoming pub crawl.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment