Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Disposably Eternal

So, I am the proud owner and operator of a brand new garbage disposal, an Insinkerator Badger 500, I think. It was installed yesterday by a couple Brazilian guys who seemed to know what they were doing. As I watched them I fully understood the folly of thinking I could have done it since it involved rearranging and resoldering the pipes under the sink. This was definitely a spectator sport for yours truly. I’ve noticed how many Brazilians have taken up the trades in the local area which used to be dominated by Spanish speaking Latinos. I guess its an evolution brought on by immigration trends. All I know is I called on Monday and they scheduled us for Tuesday and showed up early in the ole, “12-4” window.

So True, I Miss Buddy, the Wonder Pooch
I’m getting stoked for the upcoming weekend which would normally have been my pub crawl weekend but I have loftier goals in mind (and the pub crawl will happen a week later anyways, so win). We’re heading back to New Jersey to celebrate the birthday of the first granddaughter, the FBR. Her birthday is tomorrow, appropriate for the daughter of an Army brat. We were going to drive down on Friday for the Saturday party but now are thinking to travel on Thursday night. Buoyed by our recent nocturnal travels from New Jersey, this will allow us to avoid a fairly robust Friday of rain that is almost certain. Connecticut and heavy rain is not the formula for sustained sanity while driving.

Back to regular date night of just my Favorite Panamanian and I yesterday. We saw Eternals, the latest Marvel installment. This is a completely different kind of Marvel movie which I’m sure some people/critics will find fault with. It doesn’t have the same whiz bang relentless pace of its Marvel predecessors but it brings a lot of heart with it. I liked the time it took to lay out the complete mythology surrounding the Eternals, surely the best looking group of superheroes ever assembled (I mean two Kings of the North!). There are a lot of twists and turns as we follow the group of saviors, sent to preserve the human race, over thousands of years. The story is told with a heavy reliance on flashbacks which can be problematic if less well done. I was really impressed with the story arc and the care told in telling the story. There were the usual state of the art special effects and sly humor laced throughout so I didn’t mind sitting through the very long movie. Another feather in Marvel’s cap as they choose to evolve instead of following the same well worn and highly successful path.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment