Friday, November 19, 2021

Crawl Eve

I find myself on the cusp of one of my favorite activities of the year, the annual birthday pub crawl back in my home town. Last year’s was necessarily subdued for which 2020 bears all the responsibility for. I only mentioned it to people who asked me about it and didn’t do any of the usual reaching out. It was still a lot of fun even though I instructed my favorite wing man, my Favorite Son, to stay away. This was the first one he had ever missed. He'll be back for this one and it seems a lot of other people are planning on attending. There is also a well-founded rumor that the Pittsburgh College Roommate is making to the trek north to take part for the crawl for the first time. This will, of course, mitigate the need to make a drunken phone call to him late in the crawl however he has made pronouncements before about coming which have always been for naught. I’ll believe it when he walks through the Cobblestone Door.

Photos from Prior Crawls


The 2020 Crawl

I think some people assume this is some sort of drunken rampage through the streets from people old enough to know better. It is anything but that. It started out with just my son and I. Keene Friends and the Cantankerous One are also early devotees but this will be the eleventh straight year for the event. It kind of evolved into semi-high school class reunion but as long as my son and friends as well as the odd Great Aunt and Soxfather are along, I’m happy. It’s so much more about friendship and shared experiences and just flat laughing together for an entire afternoon while reveling in the company. Granted there are alcoholic beverages consumed (ask me about my missing cousin story) but that has never been the point and is certainly not required. Like I said, one of my favorite times of the year.

I stayed up later than usual last night. I watched the Patriots’ game in which they continued their winning streak by dominating an undermanned Falcons team, still haunted by the ole 28-3 Super Bowl curse. I’ll never again complain about the Patriots’ offensive line after watching the Falcons’’ wretched effort in that department. It was a satisfying win as they face a tough stretch ahead facing really good teams. The reason I stayed up late was to see the first episode of the Wheel of Time television series. This is an adaption of probably my favorite fantasy novels of all time and the only book series I retained hard copies of when I went to reading form a Kindle. It was like meeting old friends even though the casting was different from the characters I always imagined all those years ago. The only ones who looked remotely like what I thought they should were Moraine, Matt and Rand. That being said I immensely enjoyed the show as, again, it felt like meeting old friends. I think a re-reading of the series lies in my immediate future.

Finally, I accidently watched a video yesterday that had tears streaming down my face, well, at least one snuck out. It was a music video of the song, Soldier’s Gift, by Josh Turner. I’d never heard of him or the song but I’ll try to show it here so you can see why it hit home so effectively. I stumbled across the video on Facebook which is constantly recommending videos. For some reason they think I want to see videos of some Brazilian gal named Flavia who gives fashion tips in her underwear. Alright, I guess that isn’t a real mystery, but every now and then I run across something like this that touches my heart. Enjoy.

'Cause tonight there's a Soldier in a land far away.  While children listen for bells on a sleigh. We've never met 'em, names not on our list. But you'll sleep well America, that's the Soldier's gift.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment